• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Perl handler in 18.0.40

Pat Brown

New Pleskian
Has anyone had any luck turning the Perl handler on in Plesk 18.0.40. I have a customer that uses SQL-Ledger. It's written in perl. I have installed perl and mod_perl on the server.

One forum post suggests running this command "plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component perl", but it says it is already installed.

In Plesk I navigate to Plesk > Tools & Settings > Apache Web Server and perl (deprecated) is selected.

In Plesk I navigate to Plesk > Subscriptions > example.com > Account > Hosting options, Perl and the perl support will not turn on.

I have checked many forums with different ideas, but alas, no answers.

Accessing the site just displays the contents of the file. It does not run the perl script. And the log just gives
2021-12-11 00:11:27Accessxxx.xxx.xxx.185200GET /sql-ledger/login.pl HTTP/1.0
https://gigasystems.com/giga-ledger/
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.45 Safari/537.36
766Apache SSL/TLS access
2021-12-11 00:11:27Accessxxx.xxx.xxx.185304GET /sql-ledger/login.pl HTTP/2.0
https://gigasystems.com/giga-ledger/
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.45 Safari/537.36
0nginx SSL/TLS access

Is it possible to use Perl under 18.0.40? Or is it just gone? I can setup another server for this customers application, But life would be so much easier if I can get it working under Plesk.

Thanks in advance.

Perl scripts can be run through the Apache module mod_cgid, mod_fcgid or mod_wsgi, or through Phusion Passenger with support for Django applications.

To run Perl with for example cgid_module, the following steps can be applied:
  1. Log in to Plesk
  2. Verify the Apache module cgid is enabled in Tools & Settings > Apache Web Server
  3. Navigate to Domains > example.com > Hosting Settings and enable checkbox next to CGI support
  4. Place a file, for example perl.cgi to Domains > example.com > File Manager > cgi-bin
  5. Change the permissions of the file to the following:
inline-2118323956.png

OgorG, Thank you for your response.

I have verified that cgid is enabled in Tools & Settings > Apache Web Server and I enabled CGI support in the domain settings.

When I get to step 4 I'm a little confused. I am not a web developer by any means so I'm not sure what I am doing at step 4. Am I just creating a blank file or should there be something in the file that will allow the rest of the website to use perl scripts, or maybe there should be something in the file that at least allows me to verify that perl works on the server?

I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.

Back