• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue PLEASE_READ_ME_XMG database created and all other database become corrupt and need to restore from backup

Giorgos Kontopoulos

Basic Pleskian
I am running a plesk server with some quite old sites that are still running php 5.3 - 5.6 (don't judge)
Since yesterday all the databases were corrupted and became 1.6K in size (erased probably)
and I had to restore them from backup

It has happened 4 times already since yesterday and it seems it is only affecting on the database level (but I can't be sure)
I know the correct way would be to wipe everything clean and recreate all websites but at the moment I don't have the time and since they are running older php version I am not sure there is point in doing it

I have already installed bitninja and mod_security but they did not seem to do anything to stop the last 2 attacks
I have disabled access to phpmyadmin but perhaps an older site is attacked through the php application and they get access to the rest of the databases

the remnant database PLEASE_READ_ME_XMG asks to visit an .onion website in order not to leak the data of the databases but they don't have sensitive information so I will not bother just want to find out which website is at fault if possible (there is about 30-40 very low traffic websites on this server)

Is there a way find out which one is at fault ?

Please advise what you would do ?

Last edited:
Sure enough I have spend time dropping old applications that owners had not intention of keeping for longer and bringing up to date some otherones that security patches existed but I had neglected for some time since the apps were mostly unmaintained for some time.

After this the attacker has stopped which probably means that he has used old buggy php problems to connect to the app's database and be able to access the rest of the databases in the sytem.

The attacker has not appeared for more than 3 days already but still keeping an eye on it. But if anyone has any way of isolating mysql databases from one another in a plesk environment or otherwise it would be very helpful to keep the problems of one app to itself ...

The hacker has hit again
it seems it is an old system that he can compromise and from that one alone he can wipe out all the mysql databases

- is there any way to prevent one account in plesk to affect databases in the other accounts ?
- what so I do to see which account is the one that the hacker can compromise ?

Any hellp will be appreciated
thanks

While disabling symlinks and some other tweaks can help, given the gravity and priority of your issue, this really is better suited for Plesk support to look into.

Back