• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk and the gigantic DNS TTL issue

gudmmk

New Pleskian
Good evening, my fellow Pleskians!

TL;DR : I need the TTL setting for DNS records.

Here's a little thought/rant about my biggest issue with Plesk, followed by a question if anyone else is in the same situation.

Where to begin?

Last July we decided to switch our web hosting platform over to Plesk from cPanel, since we both offer hosting on Linux and Windows and wanted a unified look for the control panel. It wasn't hurting either that Plesk supports SELinux out of the box and seems to offer more security options than cPanel.

Much to my horror, shortly before launch of the new environment, I noticed that a little tiny field was missing from the DNS Settings, the field to change the TTL for individual records. At first I thought I had made some mistake or was looking in the wrong place, I mean, what Web Hosting Control Panel dosen't offer the ability to change the TTL for individual records? On that day I realised that Plesk must be the only product on that market that dosen't offer this simple but critical function. And I fully admit that when I was evaluating Plesk I just skimmed lightly over the DNS Settings and didn't pay much attention to it, just saw that it was in place, looked nice and is easy to use.

So, I contacted the support and a part of the sales team about this matter. The answer I was given was that my request is reasonable but the demand for this functionality is low on uservoice.com (https://plesk.uservoice.com/forums/...ons/suggestions/9462309-add-dns-ttl-per-entry), beside the request on Uservoice they have not received a request about this from their partners/customers for the last few years.

Can it really be that people just don't change TTL settings, ever?

I know that I can change the TTL for the SOA record, but that is just wrong when you need to change the TTL for one record. Besides by changing the TTL on the SOA record then you're not honoring RFC1030 and RFC1033.

So.... my question. Has anyone been in this situation, and how did you resolve it? I just can't believe that I'm the only one that's about to punch through my monitor because of this.

What I ended up doing is using ISPConfig for the DNS management by letting Plesk use a custom DNS backend that I had to create to be able to interact with our authoritive DNS servers. That backend creates the DNS zone in ISPConfig, creates all the records that are defined in the DNS template in Plesk, creates the user accounts, synchronized the user account password from Plesk over to ISPConfig and so on.

This setup is working, and working quite well actually, but I want to have the DNS Settings inside Plesk, not to have the customer open the DNS Management with a custom button, inside an iframe and has to log in (again) to make DNS changes.

Tonight I started to work on a custom Plesk extension that will interact with the ISPConfig API so I can keep the management inside the Plesk CP, but at the same time I thought (again), why isn't this feature in Plesk? I just can't believe it's that hard/complicated/time consuming to add this one field? Plesk apparently had time to create the extension "GET Your Pizza! 1.0.0"....

If you're still reading, thank you for taking the time. :)

Over and out!
Gummi - the frustrated Icelander

I agree! Not sure what else could be said. It's a simple and fundamental feature. Shouldn't even take that much time to implement.

So, 5 months after my initial post I see that finally someone agrees with me regarding the TTL issue. :)

I just can't understand why this is not a priority for Plesk, not having the ability to change TTL for individual records (and no import/export feature for zone files, but that's another issue) in a Web Hosting Control Panel product is just utterly stupid... It's like buying a new car and only to find out that it does not have an engine.

DNS is one of the most critical (and oldest) services on the internet, and not to provide this "tiny" feature is beyond my understanding. I can't believe that this is that hard to implement, but might be since the default behaviour of Plesk when updating records is to delete the old record from the database and create a new one with the new values, instead of just updating the current record in the database.

If anyone from Plesk will read this: It's the year 2017, please add this feature ASAP, the DNS system was invented 34 years ago, it's time to catch up and fully support all of it features.

If you get the feeling that I sound a bit bitter after reading this, then yes, I am.

Hi gudmmk,

I agree with you, an ability to change TTL for individual records is needed functional. We regularly check uservoice but right now individual TTL only is fourth in DNS section. If any news about it, I will write.

Last edited:
Hi,

Since Plesk Obsidian 18.0.31, the managing of TTL per DNS-record is now available!
If you have any feedback on the implementation of this feature, please let us know.

---

Plesk Obsidian 18.0.31
27 October 2020
  • [+] A custom TTL value can now be configured for individual DNS records.

Back