• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Backup Missing Files in Domain/Sub Domain Folder

J.Wick

Regular Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Plesk Backup Missing Files in Domain/Sub Domain Folder

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk ObsidianVersion 18.0.47 Update #5, Rocky Linux 8.6

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

When installing various open-source software, where the docroot or pub folder is what the domain host settings are set to, the other files and folders one level back are not included for backup. This causes a loss of data and makes complete restoration impossible.

For example:

Mautic

Installed into
/var/www/vhosts/domain.net/subdomains/hello

bash-4.4$ ls
app autoload.php bin composer.json composer.lock docroot Gruntfile.js package.json package-lock.json README.md vendor

Plesk Domain Host Settings = subdomains/hello/docroot

Only the docroot folder is backed up by Plesk, while the rest of the files and folders one level back are not backed up.

When restoring this subdomain, these files are missing from the backup.
app autoload.php bin composer.json composer.lock Gruntfile.js package.json package-lock.json README.md vendor

Note: I use a folder "subdomains" to place all subdomain root folders inside.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Run Plesk backup, delete the domain/subdomain and restore from the backup.

ACTUAL RESULT

Backup only replaces files and folders from the Host Settings Folder. Files and folders one folder level back are missing.

bash-4.4$ ls
docroot

EXPECTED RESULT

When restoring the domain/subdomain, all folders and files should be restored into

subdomains/hello/*

bash-4.4$ ls
app autoload.php bin composer.json composer.lock docroot Gruntfile.js local.php package.json package-lock.json README.md vendor

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Plesk Backup Requires more logic to intelligently back up all files and associate them with their domain/subdomain better. A warning should be emailed when files and folders are located and are not backed up.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

When you create a backup for your subscription and select to backup all files and folders, all files and folders descending from
/var/www/vhosts/<subscription name> are being backed up. You can exclude specific paths or folders when checking the "exclude..." checkbox. You can also exclude logs. Backup is not limited to document root directories.

I suggest to contact Plesk support for your specific case so that they can check your backup log files and settings for what is going on in this case.

@J.Wick are you still facing this issue?

I tried to replicate your issue, but in my case files that reside outside the changed document are always restored.

Back