• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Firewall has stopped all ftp connections to my server

Heather

New Pleskian
Hi

I am running Plesk 12.0.18 #64 on CentOS6.5

I recently installed the built in firewall module in an attempt to block some IP addresses which were trying to brute force their way into one of my wordpress installs.

Everything was fine at first although I had to turn passive mode off when connecting via ftp. Recently something changed but I'm not sure what and I am now unable to connect to any of my websites on my server via ftp. It throws an internal data error - failed to receive network data.

First I tried to turn off the firewall to see if this was the issue but it made no difference - not sure if disabling the firewall rules management is the correct way to turn off the firewall?

Then I tried adding PASSIVEPORTS and creating a rule for those - no change.

I created rules to allow my IP address - still no change.

I tried to delete the module completely - still no change... it appears to still be applying the rules.

Added the module back again with default setting - no change.

I'm also unable to update mysql and this is causing backups to fail - not sure if this is related or not!

I'm not great with this stuff and my hosting company are not helping at all - does anyone know what is happening? I am really stuck and have been up half the night trying to sort this with no joy...

help!

Thanks
Heather

Are you sure this is not just the microupdate bug.. check that /etc/proftpd.conf folder exist and create it if not

also

tail -f /var/messages to see what is going on when you connect.

you can also

service iptables save
service iptables stop
service iptables status

to drop all firewall rules to check if it is firewall related

Hi Heather,

you could as well try to use the bootstrapper repair procedure, which detects and repairs quite a lof of misconfigurations and/or issues/problems:

If you have Plesk 12.0.18, then you would use the command:
/usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.0.18-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

You will as well get a repair - log, which points to possible issues/problems, which could not be repaired with bootstrapper. Please post the log, if you still experience issues afterwards.

In addition, please visit and bookmark:

... so that you are informed about log - file locations and configuration - file locations when you use Plesk.

Back