• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Plesk for windows, not a complete hosting solution??

deltatech

Regular Pleskian
Maybe you can explain what I am missing here.. But it appears that the windows version of Plesk is not a complete hosting solution because there is no email that works with it. I guess that requires further explanation..

The supplied webmail clients Atmail and Horde require imap. Likewise most people these days run mail clients with imap as it is the prefered protocol. Yet Plesk does not support any email MTAs that do imap. That is unless I am willing to lay out an extra $800 to buy an expensive mailserver.

This means if I am going to do windows hosting, I have to manually also give those clients a linux account just so they can have their email.

Free control panels such as webSitePanel are a complete solution and don't cost anything.

WARNING: Plesk support is the worst support we've ever experienced. We place a priority 1 ticket because hosted sites go down and we get a ridiculous response that someone will attend to the request within 12 hours. The last time we had a major issue, it took parallels over 72 hours to finally fix the issue AFTER we complained to a manager. The ticket was open for over a week prior to the manager's intervention. The Plesk Reconfigurator had a flaw that basically broke our installation of Plesk - the level 2 tech even admitted this in her response (which we have a copy of).

How can a company survive with such lousy support? I would never recommend this product to anyone.

I thought Horde worked with IMAP or POP3. POP is available in all the mail servers offered.

The price for a product with a real IMAP service is around $200 in most of the products of which you would probably use the respective email server web mail as they usually are better.

My opinion is that, plesk need to be redesigned. Parallel has never tested their product before releasing. In every release there will be plenty of bugs.

IIS7 with plesk is horrible and the concept to get that working was just a nightmare for web hosting company.

Back