• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question point a domain (and it's subdomains) on another server

technique-web

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 10.13
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.57 Update #5
Hi,
Today onpc.tech is hosted on my plesk server (on a multisite wordress, using subdomains). I'd like to "move" the site to another server (Kinsta), but the domain name is owned and managed by my client, so I can't update DNS settings.
I'd like to configure Plesk to "point" foo.bar to Kinsta's server but I don't see how to make this works :( I've tried to update DNS settings on plesk like this :
1705401454914.png
162.159.134.42 is the Kinsta's server IP

onpc.tech is still pointing to Plesk's server IP :(

Kinsta's support says I have to use domain masking but I d'ont see how

I've also found this : Resolved - Pointing Plesk website to another server.
It seems to workk, but it's an old version of plesk.

Based on Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email, I think Your DNS hosting provider is "Gandi SAS", that means that not a DNS service located on Plesk server is responsible for the DNS zone. And if you want to change some records, you need to use DNS control panel provided by DNS hosting provider.

But since I don't have access to Gandi's settings, is there a way to use Plesk as a proxy ? Is it possible to have something like this : onpc.tech >> plesk >> kinsta ? Is it impossible to make some kind of DNS serial connection ?

If we speak about DNS, then "No"; because visitors' browsers asking Gandi's DNS for A record for the domain directly and never Plesk. After that browsers are using responded IP address to ask the website via HTTP(s).

As an alternative option, you can configure "Forwarding" (How to create a domain forwarder in Plesk? - Support Cases from Plesk Knowledge Base), but in this scenario, you need to use different domain as a destination for redirect (it is not ideal solution, to be honest). It will work via HTTP(s), not DNS.

Back