• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

POP not working (-ERR login failed)

S

sascha.h

Good morning,
my POP service is not working. IMAP is working just fine. Also the webmail via AtMail. When I send "telnet localhost 110" via terminal, it first seems to work. So the service should run. When I try to login I get "-ERR login failed". When I send "ps ax | grep courier" I get:

19530 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep courier
23974 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/couriertcpd -address=0 -stderrlogger=/usr/sbin/courierlogger -stderrloggername=imapd -maxprocs=40 -maxperip=40 -pid=/var/run/imapd.pid -nodnslookup -noidentlookup 143 /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/imapd Maildir
23977 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/courierlogger imapd
23988 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/couriertcpd -address=0 -stderrlogger=/usr/sbin/courierlogger -stderrloggername=imapd-ssl -maxprocs=40 -maxperip=40 -pid=/var/run/imapd-ssl.pid -nodnslookup -noidentlookup 993 /usr/bin/couriertls -server -tcpd /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/imapd Maildir
23990 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/courierlogger imapd-ssl
23998 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/couriertcpd -address=0 -stderrlogger=/usr/sbin/courierlogger -stderrloggername=pop3d -maxprocs=40 -maxperip=4 -pid=/var/run/pop3d.pid -nodnslookup -noidentlookup 110 /usr/sbin/pop3login /usr/bin/pop3d Maildir
24000 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/courierlogger pop3d
24011 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/couriertcpd -address=0 -stderrlogger=/usr/sbin/courierlogger -stderrloggername=pop3d-ssl -maxprocs=40 -maxperip=4 -pid=/var/run/pop3d-ssl.pid -nodnslookup -noidentlookup 995 /usr/bin/couriertls -server -tcpd /usr/sbin/pop3login /usr/bin/pop3d Maildir
24013 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/courierlogger pop3d-ssl
31800 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/couriertls -server -tcpd /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/imapd Maildir
31805 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/couriertls -server -tcpd /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/imapd Maildir
31813 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/couriertls -server -tcpd /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/imapd Maildir
31818 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/couriertls -server -tcpd /usr/sbin/imaplogin /usr/lib/courier-imap/authlib/authpsa /usr/bin/imapd Maildir

So maybe it's only a problem with the authentication?

Kind regards,
Sascha

Try to rebuild mailsetting with

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mchk --with-spam

It should help.

Having performed a Search on the Plesk support forums here under the two words "pop login" I have found a listing of email problems, and while the support question answered in this thread here, seems to offer a solution, to the issue of " POP not working (-ERR login failed)", it is an issue which is almost exactly the same as the problem I'm experiencing, which I need more information in fixing this problem.

The server I have the problem on is running Plesk 9.5.0 and has a number of clients and domains under these clients, many have emails.

POP access is working fine for all the other clients email accounts set up under the respective domains.

I have just created 2 new email accounts, under a client that has 3 domains, under 1 of these domains.

This has been done in the same manner as every over email for every other Client, however, for some reason, the Horde Webmail login works fine (presumably via an IMAP system), however, pop access is not working and allowing either my Thunderbird Mail client to retrieve mails, nor via using a telnet command through a terminal, ie: telnet mail.domain.com 110, where I can successfully login here, and put in the username and password in the 2 successive steps, however after the password is put in I get the (-ERR login failed) error message.

Under mailsetting area accessed via the mailsetting icon in the Plesk Admin - Webmail Horde 4.3.6 is selected but under that both... :

Use DomainKeys spam protection system to sign outgoing e-mail messages (Server policy)
Switch on greylisting spam protection for all mail accounts under this domain (Server policy)

... have a tickbox that you CAN NOT tick, and is hence they are both NOT selected. Nevertheless this is the same with e very other mail account set up on the server in all the various clients and domains which have email set up via the Plesk Panel.

So could I please be advised how to proceed here in making POP access work on these newly set up email accounts, without affecting ANY other email accounts on the server, together with some form of possible explanation as to why POP access has not worked this time round, when it has been working fine in the past?

Also, I don't know how to follow the suggestion here to:

Try to rebuild mailsetting with

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mchk --with-spam

If this is part of fixing the problem I have raised, could the method by which this is fixed please be explained, and also may I please also be advised, if fiddling with this could possibly effect either POP of IMAP access on any other email accounts on the server, and what precaution should be taken here if changing anything here could risk current access to any other email accounts.

Back