• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Pre upgrade questions [11.5.30 to 12.0.18] libapache2-modsecurity

weelk

Basic Pleskian
I was waiting for outgoing antispam for a long time. Now I wanted to upgrade plesk from 11.5.30 to 12.0.18

First Problem:

Before upgrade I came across a message from installer that libapache2-modsecurity is missing from my configuration. So I have installed libapache2-modsecurity. Plesk didn't like generic libapache2-modsecurity and came up with this error message:

Code:
ERROR: You have already installed libapache2-modsecurity package which is not from Panel distribution.
You should deinstall package libapache2-modsecurity before component 'modsecurity' installation, otherwise your apache web-server will be broken.

I've uninstalled libapache2-modsecurity with:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove libapache2-modsecurity
and also run:
Code:
sudo apt-get purge libapache2-modsecurity

however above error is still there when trying to upgrade. Any suggestions welcome.

Second Problem

I get this warning:
Code:
WARNING: After upgrade to Plesk 12, access to Plesk will be unavailable. Users might encounter the error "Function not implemented." To resolve this issue, refer to the article at http://kb.parallels.com/121714

Does this means I have to add the line:
Code:
shm   /dev/shm    tmpfs   defaults    0    0
to /etc/fstab and run bootstrapper repair to resolve this issue or shall I upgrade EZ templates?

System Info:
Webfusion VPS
Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
Plesk 11.5.30 Update #45

Last edited:
Regarding the second problem: it's better to upgrade EZ template, then verify that you have /dev/shm mounted in container, then upgrade. Bootstrapper repair is only for those who already upgraded without doing this.

Regarding the first problem: if you're not going to use ModSecurity that is provided with Plesk, it should be safe to ignore these error messages. What it is trying to warn you about is that if you already used ModSecurity before and then attempt to install it via Parallels Installer (without uninstalling your previous version first) you'll get problems. If you don't plan to use or install ModSecurity - you have nothing to worry about.

Regarding the first problem: if you're not going to use ModSecurity that is provided with Plesk, it should be safe to ignore these error messages. What it is trying to warn you about is that if you already used ModSecurity before and then attempt to install it via Parallels Installer (without uninstalling your previous version first) you'll get problems. If you don't plan to use or install ModSecurity - you have nothing to worry about.

Well the problem is that I have uninstalled ModSecurity (as mentioned in my first post) but error message remains when trying to upgrade. I don't want to proceed with upgrade before I make sure everything is fine to go ahead.

I have found an interesting thing: vendor mod_security package on Ubuntu 10 is called libapache-mod-security (not libapache2-modsecurity).
But anyway, preupgrade_checker should check only if package libapache2-modsecurity is installed.
You can also run:
dpkg -l | egrep 'mod.?security'
to check if any suspicious packages are installed.

Thanks for this. I have run dpkg -l | egrep 'mod.?security' and the output is this:
Code:
 rc  libapache2-modsecurity            2.8.0-14052611                         Open source, cross-pla      tform, web server WAF

So the package is still installed. When I try to run sudo apt-get remove libapache2-modsecurity I get:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libapache2-modsecurity is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 82 not upgraded.

So no package gets removed. I don't get it.

Try purge instead of remove.

Already tried

But somehow package remains installed and Plesk installer complains before upgrade. I don't want to proceed until I find the way to get this resolved.

Already tried

But somehow package remains installed and Plesk installer complains before upgrade. I don't want to proceed until I find the way to get this resolved.

Hi,

try:

# dpkg --purge libapache2-modsecurity

Regards,
Kristian

I have the same issue in CentOs 6.5 Final .. but this command didn't work for me "

dpkg -l | egrep 'mod.?security'

Would you please tell me how can I remove mode_security from my CentOS ?

I have the same issue in CentOs 6.5 Final .. but this command didn't work for me "
Would you please tell me how can I remove mode_security from my CentOS ?

Following will show you installed modSecurity packages:
rpm -qa |egrep 'mod.?security'

Then use yum utility to remove it

I suggest you use rpm instead of yum for removing. For example, on my test server I see:

[root@ppu12-0 ~]# rpm -qa |egrep 'mod.?security'
plesk-modsecurity-configurator-12.0.18-cos6.build1200140724.12.noarch
plesk-modsecurity-crs-12.0.14-14033112.i386
mod_security-2.8.0-14061715.i386

Remove them with:

[root@ppu12-0 ~]# rpm -e mod_security plesk-modsecurity-crs plesk-modsecurity-configurator

Back