• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problem with Mail

John Fleming

Basic Pleskian
Hi All,

I am hoping someone has seen this before and can help.

We have an issue that we can't find the source of, and it's to do with mail, and what appears to be an interception.

What is happening is when a client sends email (Authenticated through the server) the mail does not get delivered, but a bounce back is received from other strange email addresses. Now at first we though the client was affected, but a CRON Job email that was sent locally in the server, was not delivered, and a bounce back was received form strange email addresses!! So is it possible for the mail to be hacked, and being intercepted at a server level.

I have posted some headers here (domain names removed for security) so you can see what is happening. XXX is the Domain to where the mail is sent (Local Host) and the ZZZ domain is a domain on that server where the CRON Job is run.

It doesn't just happen on this domain but has happened on two other domains. 1 from a website generated email, and the other from normal SMTP delivery.

It has me stuffed, and my host said they have checked EVERYTHING and can't find it.

Any ideas?

This email is sent from the CRON Job on the server to a local address on the server, but it never arrived. We then get the bounce back from where it did arrive.

Code:
i. This is the qmail-send program at XXX.com.au.
I tried to deliver a bounce message to this address, but the bounce bounced!

<[email protected]>:
106.10.166.54 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com.vn account ([email protected]) [-5] - mta1230.mail.sg3.yahoo.com

--- Below this line is the original bounce.

Return-Path: <>
Received: (qmail 25848 invoked for bounce); 13 May 2013 14:00:03 +1000
Date: 13 May 2013 14:00:03 +1000
To: [email protected]
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at XXX.com.au.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Sorry, I couldn't find any host named yahoo.co. (#5.1.2)

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: (qmail 25837 invoked by uid 10041); 13 May 2013 14:00:02 +1000
Date: 13 May 2013 14:00:02 +1000
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Cron <adminuser@XXX> php -q /var/www/vhosts/ZZZ.com.au/httpdocs/cron.php
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
X-Cron-Env: <SHELL=/bin/sh>
X-Cron-Env: <HOME=/var/www/vhosts/ZZZ.com.au>
X-Cron-Env: <PATH=/usr/bin:/bin>
X-Cron-Env: <LOGNAME=ZZZ>
X-Cron-Env: <USER=ZZZ>

So we had another episode today - very intermittent, but now seems across all domains on the server.

Anyone got any ideas, this is crippling us.

Did you ever find out what it was. I am having the same issue now!

Yes. :)

The problem was that we had been SPAMMED and so our admin guys cleared the mail queue, but they had actually left a bunch of mail behind, and so when the mail server got a new email, there was already an email with that UID in the system, and so it got massively confused and tried to send both, in some sort of morphed message.

Make sure if you have dumped mail recently, that you have completely dumped them. Mail, and any reference to them.

Cheers
John

Back