• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Problems with MariaDB update on CloudLinux 8

Amadex

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CloudLinux 8.8 (Anatoly Filipchenko)
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.55 Update 1
Hello, I just want to report that we had problems with updating MariaDB 10.3 to MariaDB 10.5 on CloudLinux 8. The server was perfectly working for 2 years on MariaDB 10.3 but due WordPress requirements we needed to update it.

The following commands were executed as root:
  1. MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysqldump -u admin --verbose --all-databases --routines --triggers > /root/all-databases.sql
  2. service mysqld stop
  3. cp -v -a /var/lib/mysql/ /var/lib/mysql_backup
  4. service mysqld start
  5. /usr/share/lve/dbgovernor/mysqlgovernor.py --mysql-version=mariadb106
  6. /usr/share/lve/dbgovernor/mysqlgovernor.py --install
  7. service mysql restart
  8. MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql_upgrade -uadmin
  9. service mysql restart
  10. plesk bin service_node --update local
  11. plesk sbin packagemng -sdf
I've verified the version inside Plesk settings > database, and it was MariaDB 10.5.

After that problems were starting:
Random MariaDB crash with errors: Too many connections​
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'​
ERROR: Plesk\Exception\Database: DB query failed: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Connection refused​
DB query failed: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Connection refused​

I've did:
plesk repair installation​
pleak repair all -y​

and nothing was solved. After a server reboot, the MariaDB didn't start at all.

Then I've contacted CloudLinux support and they found out this:

Screenshot 2023-09-20 203938.png
Screenshot 2023-09-20 203950.png

After that, MariaDB 10.5 worked, but after every reboot I've needed to use mkdir/run/mariadb && chmod 775 $_ && chown mysql. $_ command, again and again.
Also all of the LVE limits were messed up, and to re-apply them I needed to run this command after every reboot: lvectl apply all

At the end, I've re-installed the server and imported the backup. So we're still on freshly installed MariaDB 10.3 which works OK.

Btw. moderators, fix the typo
  1. /usr/share/lve/dbgovernor/mysqlgovernor.py --mysql-version=mariadb106
to
  1. /usr/share/lve/dbgovernor/mysqlgovernor.py --mysql-version=mariadb105
Thanks!

Update:
My upgrade from 10.3 > 10.4 > 10.5 was successfully done without mysql governor from cloudlinux. So if you don't use mysql governor and their tools, don't install it at all and follow the AlmaLinux 8 tutorial instead.

Checked upgrade path with "mysqlgovernor", on my side it was ok, I just skipped Step 4, because upgrade consists of removing old/installing new packages and running service can interfere with this process. But almalinux approach is good enough too.

Back