• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

problems with subdomains

taylorray

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Plesk version and microupdate number
don't know
Greetings to all, my name is Jose and it is my first post in this forum, I hope you can help me with a problem that I have. Activate the multisite by following the WP tutorial step by step, without any problem, in my particular case I am using the subdomains option. I create a subdomain in WP without problem, but when I try to enter the desktop of this subdomain, I get the 404 error. I put a case of hosting support and somehow they helped me but the error persists. They indicated that putting “*” in DNS A record would resolve it after propagation, but it didn’t.
Another point that I have observed is that my hosting does not allow me to create a subdomain “*”, it indicates that it is an invalid subdomain name. I have seen this option of the “*” subdomain as a preliminary step in some tutorials and other forums. The subdomain is also created in the hosting Cpanel. The subdomain responds fine if invoked from the browser and displays the default.php page, but that’s all it does. I await your help and comments, thank you.

Greetings to all, my name is Jose and it is my first post in this forum, I hope you can help me with a problem that I have. Activate the multisite by following the WP tutorial step by step, without any problem, in my particular case I am using the subdomains option. I create a subdomain in WP without problem, but when I try to enter the desktop of this subdomain, I get the 404 error. I put a case of hosting support and somehow they helped me but the error persists. They indicated that putting “*” in DNS A record would resolve it after propagation, but it didn’t.
Another point that I have observed is that my hosting does not allow me to create a subdomain “*”, it indicates that it is an invalid subdomain name. I have seen this option of the “*” subdomain as a preliminary step in some tutorials and other forums. The subdomain is also created in the hosting Cpanel. The subdomain responds fine if invoked from the browser and displays the default.php page, but that’s all it does. I await your help and comments, thank you.
thanks in advance for any help

no response to this

I understand that you have created a subdomain and installed a Wordpress website in that subdomain. The Subdomain is an alphanumeric character string, not an asterisk *. But when you open the subdomain in a browser, you are getting a 404 "not found" error.

This behavior is known for Nginx-only hosting, e.g. when you have disabled "Proxy Mode" in the "Apache & Nginx" webserver settings and have set PHP to "PHP-FPM via Nginx". It is also possible that "Proxy Mode" is on so that Apache is still asked to process PHP, but PHP is set to "PHP-FPM via Nginx". Here is one possible solution:

However there are more possible causes and solution, such as

Back