• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved qmail maildir contains items even though there should be no mailbox

Frostbolt

Basic Pleskian
I have an issue with my server slowly filling up. I have some email addresses defined with no mailbox (only forward). When I look in
/var/qmail/mailnames/<domain>/<username>/Maildir/new there are plenty of files there.

I may have switched between qmail and postfix a long time ago, currently the SMTP server that I have selected is Postfix.

How can I clean up emails that are not officially in a mailbox? And how do I prevent them being saved there at all?

I'm using ‪CentOS 6.10 and Plesk Obsidian 18.0.29 Update #3

Are you asking about orphaned directories or files in the /Maildir/new directory? Normally entries there are emails. These are managed by the mail software. But if your user account no longer exists and these entries are orphaned they can simply be deleted, because nothing on the system knows they are there. Doing a backup before deleting stuff like that is always a good idea.

Back