• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Remove proftpd and use vsftpd instead

DailyPleskEnjoyer

New Pleskian
Hello,

I want to remove proftpd and use vsftpd instead, since i know vsftpd better. Unfortunately, when I want to install vsftpd via
Code:
apt-get install vsftpd
, the package wants to uninstall the following ones sadly:
Code:
The following packages will be DELETED:
  plesk-roundcube plesk-web-hosting psa-proftpd

Since I am using roundcube as mail service, I can't/wan't to deinstall it.

A "fix" for my problem would be a tutorial on how to create a root user for proftpd that has access to / and can freely down- & upload everything (yet again, I know how to configure this in vsftpd but not in proftpd).

The best case scenario would be that I can somehow install vsftpd WITHOUT deleting/uninstalling roundcube.

Thanks for reading!

Note, that it is not just proftpd package from the OS vendor, but psa-proftpd modified package from Plesk and you can't remove such package without broke whole Plesk.

Note, that it is not just proftpd package from the OS vendor, but psa-proftpd modified package from Plesk and you can't remove such package without broke whole Plesk.
Thank you, I've already noticed that. Regarding that, is there some way I can install vsftpd or any other FTP that does not interfere with psa-proftpd, psa-roundcube etc?

We do not recommend installing any third-party software along with the Plesk, especially which duplicate Plesk base functionality.
But you could try at your own risk.

A "fix" for my problem would be a tutorial on how to create a root user for proftpd that has access to / and can freely down- & upload everything (yet again, I know how to configure this in vsftpd but not in proftpd).
I would recommend you use sftp/scp for that.

However, I can use FTP with the "default" user Plesk created for my domain.
In /etc/passwd it looks like the following:
Code:
MYUSER:x:10000:10000::/var/www/vhosts/MYDOMAIN.TLD:/bin/false

I can not change it to 0:0 or ::/root, because it wont work after that. Could it be possible to modify the default user's rights to get root access?

Back