• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question S3 backup - change S3 zone to eu-west

briveira

New Pleskian
Trying to use Backup to AWS S3.
How can I force to use an existing bucket in eu-west zone instead of it trying to create a new one in us-west (oregon)?

Thanks!

Create a S3 bucket in the eu-west zone manually in your AWS account. Use that bucket name in backup configuration like so:
Schermafbeelding 2021-12-23 om 11.37.46.png

But it does not work. It always tries to execute the "CreateBucket".
If it does exist, plesk shows an error:

Error: Error executing "CreateBucket" on "https://XXXXX.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/"; AWS HTTP error: Client error: `PUT https://XXXXX.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/` resulted in a `409 Conflict` response:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Error><Code>BucketAlreadyOwnedByYou</Code><Message>Your previous request to crea (truncated...)
BucketAlreadyOwnedByYou (client): Your previous request to create the named bucket succeeded and you already own it. -

and if I delete the bucket, and allow Plesk to "CreateBucket" then it will create it in us-west-2 again
of course, AWS S3 is a global service, but GDPR practically forces us to create backups in EU

also, it detects the bucket exists, as if you try to put an incorrect path it will say it does not exist. But it tries to create the bucket everytime, so AWS just answers "BucketAlreadyOwnedByYou".
1640615830487.png

You're right. I've done some testing just now and seems that when you use the option "I will use the root account credentials (will not be stored)" Plesk will always try to create a bucket.

However when you use "I have created a restricted IAM user account" (and setup a IAM user in AWS for your bucket) you should be able use a bucket in any other S3 zone. At least thats how it works for me.

well, somehow I managed to apply changes and it has started using it :-?
a combination of error - retry, delete path, recreate bucket... Not sure why :(

I think it should be reviewed by the developers

Back