• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question SSL Client Authentication Nginx

João Reis

New Pleskian
Hi,

I want to know how to implement SSL Client Authentication in nginx or apache.
I tried the Additional nginx directives but it gives me an error. Check the image.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• nginx.png
    nginx.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 13
Is there a proper answer to this one?

If one uses Let's Encrypt there is a ssl_client_certificate in the nginx configuration file, but I am not sure how to use this one to sign or generate the client certificate.

ssl_client_certificate /opt/psa/var/certificates/scfQ34FHW;

My Host just got updated to Plesk Obsidian (from Onyx). With that my only way of using verifying client-certificates in nginx went out the window.
To prevent Plesk from using the "ssl_client_certificate" instruction (why does it even use that? its for a different purpose) i uploaded the crt and the ca.crt in one file as a chain. This way, the Ca-Certificate would just get supplied by ssl_certificate as a chained certificate, which is perfectly valid and normal in any other nginx-configuration. Now this is broken because the Obsidian-Update strips any additional Certificates supplied in the Certificate file and only saves the first one. This way, i can not use this method anymore.

Also my only method of supplying PHP with
fastcgi_param SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY $ssl_client_verify;
fastcgi_param SSL_CLIENT_S_DN $ssl_client_s_dn;
got broken because Plesk no stops the PHP-FPM service as soon as PHP-Support is disabled in the hosting settings. This was not the case before. Before it only removed the nginx-configuration, but the service was left running. Now I have no way of using my own PHP Configuration under Additional Nginx-Settings.

Please give me a way to require client-certificate validation.

Back