• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Unbanning some IP addresses causes the server to be unresponsive

TurabG

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk 18.0.63 #4
I have a firewall in front of the Plesk web server. (Endian Community) My web server is not very active, it has only 10-15 sites whose traffic shouldn't be more than 40-50GB monthly but I see 500-700GB traffic due to "bad bots". So from time to time, I go to Fail2Ban interface to look for IP patterns to block them on firewall level. For example I block cloud services (like Amazon, Google, Microsoft) (not the search engines) and suspicious IP addresses (as full ranges) that belong to suspicious organizations and that I am sure are not individual users.

Then I remove them from Fail2Ban block list as they are now blocked on an upper level which can't reach here. But something strange happens lately. When I select a few IP addresses and click unban button, the whole server gets inaccessible for a minute or two. None of the websites response for a couple of minutes. Then when the server becomes accesible back, I try removing those IPs again, and most the times it works the second time. So I check a few more IP addresses and click unban again, the server becomes inaccessible again..

What could be causing this, how can I even diagnose it?

If I have an active SSH session, I see that it doesn't get cut off during this time. But if I don't have an active SSH session before I clicked unban button, I cannot make a SSH connection during this time. Isn't that strange?

Back