• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Unexpected IP in allow-transfer in /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
Several years I created a script to check the domains for which I'm running authoritative DNS.
This includes checking the IP's in "allow-transfer" for each domain to see if they can successfully resolve the A-record.
It's been a while that I ran this script.

I have 1 Plesk-server dedicated to DNS. I like Plesk's DNS panel, but I don't like having each Plesk server to run DNS and let it control the domains that are running on it.

I know both the advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

Only the primary DNS-server is running Bind controlled by Plesk.
I have configured a slave DNS with "bind" on another Plesk server, but that DNS-server is not controlled by Plesk.

On the Primary server I'm running the extension: "Slave DNS Manager 1.9.1.0" where I have configured that Slave DNS-server.

Primary DNS server's IP: 12.12.12.10
Secondary DNS server's IP: 40.40.40.10

Only the IP 40.40.40.10 is configured in "Slave DNS Manager"

However....
In /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf I have 2 entries in allow-transfer for each and every domain. It should only contain 40.40.40.10, but it also has another IP of a Plesk server.

allow-transfer {
20.20.20.20;
40.40.40.10;

This IP 20.20.20.20 is another Plesk server of mine, but I have no idea why it is listed in named.conf
It is not even running DNS
It is however a server of mine, so it's not really making it up.
What I did notice is that this 20.20.20.20 is configured as the standard A-record in the template I'm using.
But I don't understand why it is adding that IP to allow-transfer. Most of my domains don't have anything to do with the Plesk server on 20.20.20.20 and are running on other Plesk servers of mine.

The 20.20.20.20 wasn't on all records, but after I did a 'plesk bin repair --dns -y -v' all the domains are filled now with "allow-transfer { 20.20.20.20; 40.40.40.10;}"

Why?????

Back