• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

upgrade php from 4.3.2

S

snelson100

Hi Folks,

I"ve discovered that an older version of php is causing environment variables to leak from one vhost to another. I first noticed this problem with the timezone changing randomly and now see it happening with umasks changing as well. I did a bunch of digging and some testing and have discovered a bunch of people had this problem but no solution has been found. I've found a solution, to read more about it go to this thread: http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=152097#post152097

So, now I need to upgrade php. I'm running plesk 7.5 reloaded and php 4.3.2. Does anyone have experience upgrading? What's the best way to do go about it and what problems can I expect?

Thanks,
Shane

I recently updated to PHP 4.3.2 without any problems. I was running Plesk 7.5.3 under Red Hat EL3, and I just used the up2date -u command from the shell to update PHP, and about 100 other components. I did run into a minor issue with the bind update, so be careful if you run up2date to upgrade everything.

If you are running RedHat, I think you can use up2date to upgrade just PHP and the dependencies with:
up2date php
Or since it will probably have several dependencies, just include them all on the command line like:
up2date php php-mysql php-whatever

If you are not running a Red Hat version of Linux, post your distro and version so we can help.

It is a redhat system:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 6)

Something doesn't make sense though. up2date tells me I can install php 4.3.2 but php tells me that I already have that version. Am I interpreting something wrong or....?

[root@secure rhn]# up2date -l | grep php
php 4.3.2 33.ent i386
php-imap 4.3.2 33.ent i386
php-ldap 4.3.2 33.ent i386
php-mysql 4.3.2 33.ent i386
php-pgsql 4.3.2 33.ent i386
[root@secure rhn]# php -v
PHP 4.3.2 (cgi), Copyright (c) 1997-2003 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2003 Zend Technologies

What version of PHP do you think you have installed? Maybe you have multiple versions installed at the same time? Try:
Code:
rpm -qa | grep php
This should list all installed packages and versions that contain "php".

I have php 4.3.2 and I would like to upgradae to a newer version. up2date seems to only want to offer me an upgrade to 4.3.2.33 which.

I think I have to upgrade to 4.3.3 to fix this bug: http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25753

Current version 4 branch of php is upto 4.4.4. If it is safe to do so I'd like to upgrade all the way to 4.4.4. But up2date doesn't offer this to me. Is it safe to make this upgrade? How can I do it - I'd like to avoid a source code install on this server.

Back