• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Using a custom AJP ProxyPass as subdomain - vhost configuration?

Bombasstard

New Pleskian
Hello Folks,

I have been recently assigned being an adminstrator of a Plesk 12 managed web server running on Ubuntu Linux.

And I have a problem configuring something that is way off a "standard" application, so I am asking for help.

My problem:
I have a Java server application with an embedded Tomcat servlet container. As I already have an Apache Web Server running on this machine, I want to make use of the AJP protocol to connect these two web servers, running on port 8009.
So, on a standard Apache configuration I simply would add some VirtualHost configuration and that would be it:

Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName localhost
   ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/ajp.error.log
   CustomLog /var/log/apache2/ajp.log combined
   <Proxy *>
     AddDefaultCharset Off
     Order deny,allow
     Allow from all
   </Proxy>
   ProxyPass / ajp://localhost:8009/
   ProxyPassReverse / ajp://localhost:8009/
</VirtualHost>

But, as I am running Plesk 12, this does not work that simple.
I tried several ways adding a subdomain via Plesk Configuration UI, but all I did manage was adding a heavily PHP backed folder below "/var/www/vhosts/$domain_name/$subdomain_name".
So, I found out vhost configuration for the Apache/Plesk combination lies in "/etc/apache2/plesk.conf.d/vhosts".

Going there, I edited the automatically created .conf file for my subdomain. Basically I deleted the whole Plesk configuration for this subdomain and replaced it with above ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse settings, and it worked. So far, so good.

Alas, there is a nice warning inside of thes conf files:
Code:
#ATTENTION!
#
#DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE BECAUSE IT WAS GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY,
#SO ALL YOUR CHANGES WILL BE LOST THE NEXT TIME THE FILE IS GENERATED.
#IF YOU REQUIRE TO APPLY CUSTOM MODIFICATIONS, PERFORM THEM IN THE FOLLOWING FILES:
#/var/www/vhosts/system/$subdomain_page/conf/vhost.conf
#/var/www/vhosts/system/$subdomain_page/conf/vhost_ssl.conf

I have already tried out that advice by creating such a vhost.conf file with my ProxyPass settings, but of no avail. So I got back to my manual edit described above.

So, I've got the impression that fiddling with these conf files manually is not that much of a good idea at all.
But I do not know how to do that "the correct way".

So, could you please help me? What am I supposed to do here?

Best regards
B.

Back