• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue VPS - DNS - In The Weeds @Ales input needed

Nabil Kilany

New Pleskian
Dear Community Members,

I've recently got a subscription with GoDaddy where I got a Windows Server 2016 with Plesk, the main reason I went for a VPS is I wanted to host various websites with different support between PHP and ASP and have them perform perfectly without issues of performance from shared hosting plans.

I'm having issues of not reaching webmail nor do I feel that the zone file created by the web server is resolving, other issues with DNS will be pointed out after the explanation of the steps I made.
As I'm a bit literate in IT I'm facing some beginner issues, my experience and I did step by step is the follows:

1. I provisioned the server and set the host name to be as part of a domain I also registered with GoDaddy.
2. I logged in and updated Plesk to the latest version, installed components which were missing such as dns bindings, SQL 2017...etc.
3. I looked at the IP settings and found that it came with 3 dedicated IP addresses, I've chosen the server IP address to be shared in order to host multiple domains using the same IP address. However the other IP addresses don't respond to ping and one of them is a floating ip.
3. I've added the domain I got to set it as the primary domain and used domain connect
4. the Plesk comes in ready with Mailenable and Horde servers
5. once you add a domain it creates its zone file with the standard templates and all you need.
6. I created subscriptions (other domains) even under customers in order to separate users from accidentally messing up multiple domains.
7. I added email addresses.
7. The websites work once I add an @record in the registrar to pint to the IP address.
8. However the problem is that even if I add a name in the registrar with "mail" or "webmail" pointing the IP address, it never reaches the webmail server.

My question is what ami doing wrong?
how can I get the VPS to serve the domain and resolve DNS requests, how can the server hostname be part of a domain it serves?
How can I get the server to resolve immediately the zone files of domains I add just by having the registrar point the A record to my server?

Any pointers would be great.

Back