• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue webmail ok, outlook not

seabiscuit

New Pleskian
Hi,

I've setup webmail on one of my hosted domains by using SSL and I can send and receive emails without any issue.

My problem is when I try to setup Outlook, I'm receiving "We couldn't connect to the outgoing (SMTP) server". I believe, it can connect to the incoming server, though. I'm using the following entries:

Incoming Mail Server: example.com
Port: 993
Encryption Method: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Mail Server: example.com
Port: 465
Encryption Method: SSL/TLS

Hello Rasp,

I ran telnet and as you guessed ports are not available:

-Microsoft Telnet> o example.com 465
-Connecting To example.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 465: Connect failed
-Microsoft Telnet> o example.com 993
-Connecting To example.com...
-Connection to host lost.

I did the same with firewall disabled, result is the same.

You'll have to search where port 465 is blocked exactly. Could be your own computer, your own network, perhaps your ISP is blocking the port, your provider or your server/vps.

Last edited:
Rasp, first off, thank you so much for directing me to the right path. Otherwise, I was going to loose tons of time....

I also tried the following after reading an article, which looks ok I guess:

sudo iptables -S
-A IN_plesk_allow -p tcp -m tcp --dport 465 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,UNTRACKED -j ACCEPT
-A IN_plesk_allow -p tcp -m tcp --dport 587 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,UNTRACKED -j ACCEPT
-A IN_plesk_allow -p tcp -m tcp --dport 993 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,UNTRACKED -j ACCEPT

The support of the company from which I got my VPS tried to find the source of the problem. However they have not been able to spot it so far. They are still working on it. In the meantime, they've suggested me to consider using a remote server like yandex.connect. I'm considering to delegate the email services to them.

Fingers crossed..

Back