• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question What's the cause for "... open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied ..."?

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
Example from maillog:
Dec 9 12:24:24 [hostname] journal: plesk sendmail[27739]: handlers_stderr: PASS
Dec 9 12:24:24 [hostname] journal: plesk sendmail[27739]: PASS during call 'limit-out' handler
Dec 9 12:24:24 [hostname] journal: plesk sendmail[27739]: handlers_stderr: postalias: fatal: open database /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied
Dec 9 12:24:25 [hostname] journal: plesk sendmail[27739]: handlers_stderr: SKIP
Dec 9 12:24:25 [hostname] journal: plesk sendmail[27739]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler

Postfix is up, mails can be sent and received, yet frequent /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db: Permission denied appear in the log.

We did check directory permissions according to http://forum.odin.com/threads/postfix-virtual-db-permission-denied.259020/, all seems to be well.

Hi Peter Debik,

"fast & dirty" - solution is mostly:

Code:
plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component qmail

followed by

plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --install-component postfix

If this doesn't already solved your issue, pls. post the outputs from:
Code:
stat /var/spool/postfix/plesk/virtual.db

stat /var/spool/postfix/plesk/

stat /var/spool/postfix/
( hint: consider to use these commands as well, while QMAIL is installed, to see possible differences! ;) )

stat output seems o.k. compared to other hosts with the same configuration that do not suffer the same issue.

I am terrified by the thought that a component change to qmail and back to postfix could break SMTP altogether. I'd much prefer to know the reason for the error before giving this a try.

Hi Peter Debik,

first of all, your "worst case scenario" can be revoked with the Plesk configuration BACKUP - files, located at "/var/lib/plesk/cfgmon" within seconds. ;)
Second, NO content at all will be touched in your mail - directory. :rolleyes:
Third, I would NOT suggest the above possible solution, when I wouldn't be sure about the results. ;)

Back