• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.56->7.61 DNS reversion, Permission reversion, major problem!! Please help

M

mattridings

OK,

Went from latest patched 7.56 to 7.61 last night. Install went well, in fact it went super smooth so I let out a big sigh of relief.

I had been worried about the so did complete backup, etc. After testing that the basics of all websites were up and running I wrote if off as a successful upgrade....

...then this morning our phones are ringing off the hook. Here is what I know so far.

1. All of our manual additions/modifications directly to Microsoft DNS have been wiped out. As we just did a complete manual revamp on our primary and secondary dns server naming, and have business clients with external sites that we point their dns to for them, this was a massive deal and over half of our clients had sites or services not working for them.

2. Apparently a ton of permissions on the server have been changed. We are still going through this at the moment so I don't know all locations but at a minimum our "Program Files" folder and all folders underneath have been set to "Deny" access to psaadm and psacln (everybody). This of course caused mass havoc as tools like ASPupload (and virtually all other add-on dll based products) use these directories....so none of them now work.

We're terrified of what else has occured that we just haven't tracked down yet.

Can someone please address this and let us know a) is this a known problem and being worked on? and b) will this reoccur when the scheduler runs again tonight and recreate the problem all over again?

P.S. - If anyone is interested I just built a quick script to backup DNS. Should work on Win2000 and Win2003. Also has a Restore script as well. Just let me know and I can send or attach if that's permitted.

Don't know if it will help anyone but thought I'd begin listing apps that we have that use the Program Files directory and break due to the above post.

1. Persits ASPupload, ASPmail, Jupload, Jmail
2. FATHupload
3. FATHzip
4. FATHmail
5. DIMAC Jmail.NET
6. DIMAC Jmail
7. IonCube (can anyone confirm this?)
8. Pivo Components
9. SQLXML
10. ZendOptimizer (not confirmed yet)

Grrrr....

11. SmarterMail

I assume SmarterStats and SmarterTicket as well

Note that .NET is hosed as well. Cannot tell whether it is permission based or not yet. Basically ASPX pages are erroring out with an error tyical of a .NET corruption. Initiated reinstall of .NET 1.1 to see if that helps.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis -i

-matt

reinitializing .NET Framework combined with other permission changes resolved SmarterMail error. Note that SmarterTickets worked fine with just permission mods.

-matt

FIXED

We have got a work around for this problem.

We installed Jmail outside
c:\program files folder

and gave permissions to the folder for the group PSACLN for read/execute

Hope this helps.

Hello,

To find the files that cannot be accessed by the website users, you can use the filemon utility:

sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

It can show the "access denied" events for file access. You can then give the psacln and psaserv "read/execute" permissions for the extensions you use.

As for the DNS settings, Plesk only supports DNS settings made directly through Plesk interface. Otherwise, the next time Plesk updates the DNS configuration, all custom DNS settings are lost.

Hope, this helps.

Back