• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Accessing webmail via dotted quad

T

trohricht

I recently changed hosting servers, but still have access to the "old" server including Plesk and webmail there. Since the DNS change happened sometime in the middle of the night, I would like to check and make sure no old email messages remain on the old email server.

Problem is, when I try to access webmail.domain.com, I get an error because "webmail" does not exist on the new server. I even tried to use "webmail" as a prefix to the dotted quad (where the old domain is hosted) but this didn't work either.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can access webmail after the DNS for the affected domain has changed to a new server?

Thanks.

If you have a Windows workstation, then you can either put an entry into your HOSTS file which will point the domain name to the old IP, or set your primary DNS server (under Network settings) to the old IP which will then query the old server when you browse to the domain's URL.

Kind of like the old style - how to site preview before DNS propagation - issues.

(actually even if you have a LInux based workstation this will work as well, just different files to modify)

Ah yes, HOSTS ... forgot all about that.

Thanks very much.

Back