• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Add e-mail to domain alias

A

AlvaroV

I have a website (mydomain.com) and a domain alias for it (myalias.com).

Now what I want to do is to add an e-mail to the domain alias. For example: [email protected]. The thing is that I don't want to be the same mailbox that [email protected]

How can I setup this?

Hello,

Just do not select the Mail check box when creating an alias. Here is the quotation from the Parallels Plesk Panel 9 Administrator's Guide:

Setting Up Domain Aliases
http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PPP9/Doc/en-US/plesk-9.0-administrators-guide/59332.htm

Select the Mail check box, if you want e-mail directed at the e-mail addresses under the domain alias to be redirected to the e-mail addresses under your original domain name.

Example: You have an e-mail address [email protected]. You have set up an alias for your domain name, for example, alias.com. If you want to receive mail to your mailbox [email protected] when it is sent to [email protected], select the Mail check box.

Regards,
Denis.

Hi Dennis,

I have follow your instructions, but now when I go to add e-mail account, I can't select to which domain I want to associate this mailbox (my domain alias has been works perfect and is showing my webpage)

Thank you in advance.

same issue

I have my plesk account and I set up some alias for one of my domain... these alias are registered by other domain reseller and all works perfect.

Now I have bought a new domain where my main domain parking... I added my new domain as alias but how can I menage the new email accounts of the new domain if plesk doesn't allow me to add new domain with the same name of one of alias?!

Thanks

email for domain alias

I've the same question from parallels support team, I could not find a way to create an email address in plesk for domain alias. Please help me or send a link to show the way to do it because our clients have many requests for it.

thanks

I'm having this problem too. I have just added a domain alias but i cannot create a mail address with the domain alias. Can anyone help us, PLEASE?

The Answer

Hi Everyone,
I was just searching around to find a solution as well and figured it out based Denis link to the Plesk Panel Admin Guide. The way that it works is based on the emails that you have set up for your primary domain name. So you DO want the Mail service checked when setting up your domain alias.

For example, if you have [email protected] setup, then you setup a domain alias of secondary.com, as long as you have that Mail service checked, anytime someone emails [email protected] you will get that email in your [email protected] box. So you have to setup whatever email address you want for your alias using the normal primary setup. I hope that helps!

J Taylor - I think you have just described the problem - unfortunately that is what people are trying to get around and so is not a solution.

From what I can see, there is no way to handle domain alias email in separate mailboxes from the primary domain, at least not through the Plesk admin screens.

The only way around this, I believe, is to use an external mail server to handle it all. We usually use use Google Apps to do this, and use the domain alias DNS settings in Plesk to point at the Google MX servers (usually four of them). There are two ways to handle this:

1. Set up the external mail server in the primary domain, then synchonise the DNS for all its domain aliases to the primary DNS. This is easiest to set up. Each synchronised alias domain will then need the external mail server to be able to handle that domain.

2. Don't synchronise the DNS entries between the master and alias domains, and then each alias domain can be pointed at different mail servers depending on individual needs.

You can, of course, mix the two options with say, Google Apps as the default mail server for all domain aliases, and some pointing at other services by disabling the DNS sync.

I hope that helps!

-- Jason

Just a note, there is a kind of workaround here:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=97896

Basically set up the alias as a full-on domain for handling the mail, but then hack the vhosts file to point the domain at the primary domain for web services. That ought to work, but will always mean diving into the shell to configure the vhosts details (it would be lovely to see the ability to edit vhosts directly through Plesk).

I have the same problem and, I am sorry, do not understand how do I do it?
If I made for domain.tld an alias domain2.tld, how do I made for domain2.tld an separate e-Mail-Account? (domain2.tld do not have some webspace, where can I made for this an eMail-Account?) It can be made maybe by Hosting, but I would like first made it in Plesk
ver. Plesk 9.5

Thank you

Hello,
What about the problem ?
Someone have found a solution ?
I'm using plesk 11 and i looking adding a mails to mail alias domain through plesk panel.

I think there is no solution. Plesk dictates here how we should use it, unfortunately. Correct me if i am wrong.

What I do:
I create the domain as a forwarding hosting. Then you will have the domain in the pulldown when adding email addresses.

Back