• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Adding CPU and memory to virtual server after Plesk installation

gbotica

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.6
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi,

I've searched this forum but had no luck finding any info about recommendations or experience with upgrading / adding vCPU's and memory to a virtual server AFTER Plesk has been installed and configured.

Is this a seriously bad idea, or can it be done? Is there any configuration required after upgrading? (Obviously a server restart is needed...)

I wouldn't normally try this and usually just roll out a new server, but one case has come up with a VPC server hosted on Vultr + Plesk where if we could just add more CPU and memory would be great.

Does anyone know if there is specific configuration that occurs at time of Plesk installation, where the currently available CPU count and memory are used in configuring Plesk's components, such as MySQL, Apache, Nginx?

Has anyone successfully upgraded a server with more CPU and memory post-Plesk installation? Is it stable? Does the server make proper use of the additional resources?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Usually, the addition of resources for the virtual server on which Plesk is running is done at the server level. You cannot increase resources for a virtual server from within it. This is the job of the administrator of the physical server.
Inside Plesk, you can allocate available resources using cgroups, as well as fine-tune them for specific services like nginx, MySQL, and so on.

Usually, the addition of resources for the virtual server on which Plesk is running is done at the server level. You cannot increase resources for a virtual server from within it.
Yes, I realise that. I'm talking about doing exaxtly that -- upgrading the server via the Vultr CLI, shutdown and boot and the new CPU and memory is available.

I guess what I'm wondering here is what post-upgrade configuration might be required to ensure that MySQL, Nginx and Apache make use of these new resources. I have no problem doing that ... I'm confident tweaking conf files for these services, I just was hoping to learn about any possible issues or advice from other Plesk users who may have done this before.

I have never done this before, in all previous cases, once I build a new server to run Plesk, I just leave it as-is, never changing CPU, memory or disk configuration (apart from maybe NAS disk for backups). As the server gets busier I might tweak MySQL and Apache a little, but usually it's left as per original installation.

Hopefully that makes some sense?

Thanks for your input.

Your OS manages hardware resources. MySQL, Nginx, Apache, Postfix, ect just utilize whatever resources they need and are available. There is not much could do about that. What you can do however is increase the swap size so it better matches with you new your memory size, update PHP resource limits if that better fits your need, update resources in cgroups if you use it, and perhaps maybe tweak some MySQL settings. You'll have to do that manually as it outside the scope of Plesk. (Cgroups and PHP settings can be edited trough Plesk ofcourse).

You might also need to manually run the "Detect hardware changes" function in Monitoring so your hardware changes are pickup by the monitoring tool. Although the Monitoring tool should detect those changes automatically.

Back