• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Additional FTP account shutting right down after opening (via FTP client)

How the problem was finally solved (still thanks to anyone involved!)

• Signed up for Plesk-Support (costs $9,99 a month, but first month is free, so $0)
  • The support found out that it could connect until IONOS, so there had to be a problem there.
    • In my provider panel's firewall settings, I've found that the checked configuration was not the one where port 21 (or ports 49152-65535/tcp) were open.
    • I added these ports to the checked configuration
  • The support also found out that "xinetd" was down and restarted it
    • Beforehand he had to shut down "vsftpd", an extension I had previously installed since the IONOS-guy told me "there is no service behind port 21, you need to install one"
Summary
Plesk's firewall was configured correctly, but IONOS-panel's own firewall wasn't.
The service xinetd (superserver responsible for things like FTP-server) wasn't started.
Also vsftpd was listening to port 21 as well (since IONOS guy told me to install it earlier in troubleshooting)
Code:
# sudo systemctl stop vsftpd
# sudo systemctl restart xinetd

Now FTP is working and I can even create accounts in Plesk (not only SSH). Case closed :)

How the problem was finally solved (still thanks to anyone involved!)

• Signed up for Plesk-Support (costs $9,99 a month, but first month is free, so $0)
  • The support found out that it could connect until IONOS, so there had to be a problem there.
    • In my provider panel's firewall settings, I've found that the checked configuration was not the one where port 21 (or ports 49152-65535/tcp) were open.
    • I added these ports to the checked configuration
  • The support also found out that "xinetd" was down and restarted it
    • Beforehand he had to shut down "vsftpd", an extension I had previously installed since the IONOS-guy told me "there is no service behind port 21, you need to install one"
Summary
Plesk's firewall was configured correctly, but IONOS-panel's own firewall wasn't.
The service xinetd (superserver responsible for things like FTP-server) wasn't started.
Also vsftpd was listening to port 21 as well (since IONOS guy told me to install it earlier in troubleshooting)
Code:
# sudo systemctl stop vsftpd
# sudo systemctl restart xinetd

Now FTP is working and I can even create accounts in Plesk (not only SSH). Case closed :)

@muckaveli

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved!

Nevertheless, a bit strange what happened there at IONOS.

You should keep track of issues like this, since the basics (of setup) were not complied with by IONOS ....... and it is likely that a similar issue will occur.

If something odd happens again, now we know that we also have to take into account the possibility of the "unexpected" and the "very unlikely".

Kind regards....

Back