• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Allow specific users access to "Additional nginx directives" box

websavers

Regular Pleskian
Hey there,

We've got a number of power users that regularly request that we add custom configuration to their 'additional nginx directives' box (aka: vhost_nginx.conf).

I'd like to be able to provide them with access within Plesk to edit the contents of that box themselves. Even if it was only resellers we could supply access to, that would be great!

Does anyone know if I'm simply missing something in terms of how to implement that permission control?

Thanks UFHH01!

My reseller plans have every single permission option checked except:

Anonymous FTP Management
Allow activating APS apps using license keys from the Plesk license pool
Remote access for database users

I presume that setting isn't tied to one of those? I do have "Hosting performance settings management " checked (along with all others that aren't the three above). Yet those resellers are unable to access the "additional nginx directives" box.

Attached is what the reseller sees when looking at a domain within a subscription with all permissions enabled (except the three above).

The documentation you linked me to says: "Note that your customers cannot view and edit the Additional nginx directives field."

I feel like there should be an "Advanced web server configuration permission" option to allow control of that field (along with the apache one).

Attachments

• plesk-no-access-to-additional-nginx.png
    plesk-no-access-to-additional-nginx.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi websavers,

hm... yes... sorry... ( I'm not used to log in as a reseller ^^ ). I think this option is only available for admin - accounts, but please wait for a Odin-Team-member to respond to it.

Yes, it's true. We believe that this is inappropriate to give customers this potentially dangerous possibility.

While normally I might agree with this, how else are customers supposed to customize their nginx configuration? Apache has the advantage of reading in .htaccess files, but nginx for performance reasons doesn't do this. It's a rather important thing since at bare minimum, rewrites are pretty much standard for websites now.

We now get quite a number of requests from resellers asking to change this config value and that option in nginx because they want to use the higher performance web server, but they can't do anything useful with it without asking us to configure it accordingly.

Either you guys should allow the hosting provider to choose whether or not they want to allow their customers to have access to the field OR you need to start providing useful alternatives such as:

1) An .nginx file in the webroot that is read by each vhost to bring in additional configurations
2) Selectable options (check boxes) under the Web Server settings that enable certain functionality like:

[ ] Check this box to enable standard WordPress rewrites
[ ] Check this box to enable gzip compression by default
[ ] Check this box to configure static files to have max cache lifetime

Also there are two reasons why it shouldn't theoretically be dangerous:

1) You guys already have it run a configtest prior to committing the changes, so it should never cause problems with the operation of nginx as a whole
2) If it's only an option for resellers, then you at least restrict the capabilities to those that are most likely to want to customize their domain's configuration

Back