• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Android Maildroid and Apple mail program cannot send mail

tkalfaoglu

Silver Pleskian
I thought I had it all set up, but apparently the phones cannot send mail out.
(Incoming is OK.. Outgoing fails).

I tried it with Maildroid, and it complains "no common protocol was found between client and server.."
however, I have the server set up to accept ssl, tsl, plain mail. I have a wildcard certificate on the ssl,
as well as CA certificates, etc, for both qmail and courrier.

I have spamdyke as well.
How can I diagnose what's going on? what's causing these clients not to connect to mail.kalfaoglu.net ?

Thanks!
-turgut

Hi tkalfaoglu,

well... let's have a look at the

Courier-IMAP
  • Configuration
    • /etc/courier-imap/imapd
    • /etc/courier-imap/imapd-ssl
    • /etc/courier-imap/pop3d
    • /etc/courier-imap/pop3d-ssl
Postfix
  • Configuration
    • /etc/postfix/master.cf
    • /etc/postfix/main.cf
Qmail
  • Configuration
    • Control files in /var/qmail/control/
    • /etc/xinetd.d/smtp_psa
    • /etc/xinetd.d/smtps_psa
    • /etc/xinetd.d/submission_psa
Each mail-system has it's own way, to define the accepted ciphers. So for example with postfix, you will finde the desired definitions to use in the main.cf at:

Code:
smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3
smtpd_tls_mandatory_ciphers = ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:ECDHE-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:AES256-GCM-SHA384:AES128-GCM-SHA256:AES256-SHA256:AES128-SHA256:AES256-SHA:AES128-SHA:DES-CBC3-SHA:HIGH:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXPORT:!CAMELLIA:!DES:!MD5:!PSK:!RC4
smtpd_tls_exclude_ciphers = aNULL, eNULL, EXPORT, DES, RC4, MD5, PSK, aECDH, EDH-DSS-DES-CBC3-SHA, EDH-RSA-DES-CDC3-SHA, KRB5-DE5, CBC3-SHA
smtpd_tls_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3
smtp_tls_mandatory_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3
smtp_tls_protocols = !SSLv2, !SSLv3

Another hint is, to use the FORUM SEARCH, because after the pusblishing of the Poodle vulnerability, there were a lot of questions, how to solve that and Odin published as well a KB - article, which describes, how you might secure your server against it. Part of it, is to define other ciphers-lists, as you will notice by reading:

In some cases you might experience issues with incompatibilities for some browser and/or eMail - clients, after you followed the KB - article 123 160. It might help to read:

... to solve such issues, because there are several additional solutions provided in this thread.

I just realized that iphone clients CAN send mail, but only if I blank out username+password in the SMTP settings..
that is, if I turn off smtp auth.
pop-before-smtp is an ugly solution; but perhaps the fact that they CAN send emails if no auth is used, gives us a clue on why iphone users cannot send emails..

Back