1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Anti Spam!

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by narm, Nov 20, 2005.

1. narm

narm Guest

The anti Spam doesn't seem to work! I get many Spam and none of them tagged as Spam!!
    Also I don't find the training option in Plesk 7.5.4! where is the training option.

Thanks

2. jamesyeeoc

jamesyeeoc Guest

Are you sure that Spamassassin (SA) is installed and running on the server?

When you purchased your Plesk license, did you purchase the SA option which would allow you to control some aspects of SA from the control panel?

To check if it is running, you need to login to the server using SSH and give the command:

ps -ax |grep 'spam'

This should show you some lines which would indicate that it is running or not. Please post your results here.

Alternatively, you could give the command:

rpm -qa |grep 'spamassassin'

It should give you 2 lines indicating that the spamassassin and psa-spamassassin are installed, and their versions. Again, please post the results.

3. narm

narm Guest

I have the following:

spamassassin-3.0.1-0.EL4
    psa-spamassassin-7.5.4-rhel4.build75050927.15
    and yes it is running.

but we get so many Spam, none tagged as a Spam! any idea why? how can we train Spam?

Best

4. CCHickman

CCHickman Regular Pleskian

40%
    I've found that the best option is to uninstall the PLESK version and install Atomic Rocket Turtle's distribution (read his site's documentation fully) - installing qmail-scanner, razor, and the other deps allows spamassassin to be extremely powerful and configurable.

Without configuring spamassassin and loading in custom definitions (do a google search) - you're only operating at half the potential!

SpamAssassin adds point totals to headers in e-mails received by my clients and I've lowered the # of hits needed to be declared SPAM LOW/MED/HIGH, configured SPAM at 8.0 to be re-routed to a spamfilter e-mail address and at 10.0 to be instantly deleted.

I've also installed qGreylisting (available on Atomic Rocket Turtle's site) with a few changes to prevent some legit servers with fast retry rates from being blacklisted.

Spam blocking really is a major ordeal to get setup correctly and I spent days tackling the project. PLESK's support for Spamassassin is nice, but I've found that it just doesn't have the level of configurability that I need to make it effective.

5. narm

narm Guest

I have CentOS4.2 and Plesk 7.5.4, will Atomic Rocket Turtle work with it?
    And how/what did you install?

Thanks

6. ShadowMan@

ShadowMan@ Guest

7. neolin

neolin Guest