• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Apache died out of the blue

A

acidbox

Out of the blue I got this error today. Server has been up and running for a week with no issues until now.

[Tue Sep 06 21:28:07 2005] [alert] (EAI 3)Temporary failure in name resolution: mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of "mydomain.com"
Configuration Failed!

/etc/resolv.conf shows the following (hosting at EV1Servers):

nameserver 66.98.240.131
nameserver 67.15.31.131

I was able to bring Apache back by adding nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx (my IP) to the resolv.conf file, but when I do that my FTP server dies. I have no clue what's going on.

Not sure what's going on here, but it was working fine yeserday. Where can I check for issues?

Question 1: You are not using a Windows editor to edit the files are you?
- Windows based editors will put CR LF at the end of lines, Linux only wants LF.
- If you have edited files using a Win Editor, you can use the 'dos2unix' utility to strip the CR's from the file.
- Linux editors: nano, pico, vi, emacs

Question 2: Have you check to see if you've been hacked or rooted?
- install and run RKHunter and Chrootkit
- check the contents of /tmp for any strange files (if you need to, email me a listing of the files to jamesyeeoc at y a h o o dot c o m)

Question 3: Did you add your 'nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx (your IP) after your ISP's, not before them, right? I also put 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' at the bottom line of resolv.conf.

Question 4: Have you changed your root password and Plesk admin password lately, if not, you may want to do that.

Question 5: "with no issues until now", so that does not include the SMTP/Port block or SMTP delay issues? LOL

Are you sure that in trying to resolve the SMTP issue(s), that you did not inadvertently edit resolv.conf? Just asking...

Originally posted by jamesyeeoc
Question 1: You are not using a Windows editor to edit the files are you?
- Windows based editors will put CR LF at the end of lines, Linux only wants LF.
- If you have edited files using a Win Editor, you can use the 'dos2unix' utility to strip the CR's from the file.
- Linux editors: nano, pico, vi, emacs

Question 2: Have you check to see if you've been hacked or rooted?
- install and run RKHunter and Chrootkit
- check the contents of /tmp for any strange files (if you need to, email me a listing of the files to jamesyeeoc at y a h o o dot c o m)

Question 3: Did you add your 'nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx (your IP) after your ISP's, not before them, right? I also put 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' at the bottom line of resolv.conf.

Question 4: Have you changed your root password and Plesk admin password lately, if not, you may want to do that.

Question 5: "with no issues until now", so that does not include the SMTP/Port block or SMTP delay issues? LOL

Are you sure that in trying to resolve the SMTP issue(s), that you did not inadvertently edit resolv.conf? Just asking...

1.) I'm editing the file directly in Pico via SSH

2.) I'm trying to run RKHunter now, but I can't even get the files to the server and I can't even connect to the server via FTP. It connects and then after it issues the LIST response to get a dirlist, I get an error that says "Error Reading Response From Server". Then the connection dies.

I tried to do a wget to get rkhunter and I get this message:

Resolving freshmeat.net... failed: Host not found.

I tried two other downloads sites, same thing. Then I tried adding the domain name in the hosts file to force it to look in the right spot and it just sits there saying connecting forever until I break out. Like this:

Resolving freshmeat.net... 66.35.250.168
Connecting to freshmeat.net[66.35.250.168]:80...

So now, I'm not sure how to get files transfered to my box anymore. Something is seriously wrong.

3/) I added it below the first two dns entries. I just now added 127.0.0.1 as well. No change.

4.) I just changed it again a couple minutes ago to be safe.

5.)LOL. I know, right. I got all sorts of issues.

Also, Here are the logs when I try to connect via FTP, I am not sure if the server is trying to resolve my host or something and just cannot find it, but I cannot connect:

Finding Host ftp.mydomain.com ...
Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:21
Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:21 in 0.000000 seconds, Waiting for Server Response
220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server (ProFTPD) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
Host type (1): Automatic detect
USER username
331 Password required for username.
PASS (hidden)
230 User username logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
Host type (2): UNIX (standard)
Sending "FEAT" command to determine what features this server supports.
FEAT
211-Features:
MDTM
REST STREAM
SIZE
211 End
Finished interpreting "FEAT" response.
Sending the FEAT command is optional. You can disable it in the site options of the profile.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (67,15,185,173,164,109).
connecting data channel to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:164,109(42093)PORT 192,168,0,104,7,70
200 PORT command successful
LIST
Error reading response from server.
It appears that the connection is dead.

Attempting reconnect...
Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:21
Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:21 in 0.000000 seconds, Waiting for Server Response
220 ProFTPD 1.2.10 Server (ProFTPD) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
Host type (1): Automatic detect
USER username
331 Password required for username.
PASS (hidden)
230 User username logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
Host type (2): UNIX (standard)
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
New connection OK. Reissuing command.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A
PORT 192,168,0,104,7,81
200 PORT command successful
LIST

It just keeps doing this over and over again until my FTP client gives up.

Just a side note, from reading other posts, I should have not used the Plesk firewall module either. I used to run APF on ensim with no issues, I think I might switch back to that if I can get these issues sorted out. That Plesk Firewall, while it looks nice, may not work correctly.

Need to get this fixed up asap though, so any help is appreciated.

Somewhat embarrassing, but I fixed it. Apparantly when I was editing the firewall to allow for a secondary SMTP server through, I must have DISABLED all other outgoing connections, which in effect shut down my server. lol.

Thanks for the help James, you were a big one!

Back