• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

apache logs duplicated in /var/www/vhosts/*/logs and in /var/www/vhost/system/*/logs

Miguel_Tellería

Basic Pleskian
Dear all,

I see in my Plesk installations the following pattern for apache logs in most (but not all) susbscriptions.

For a domain.tld subscription, there are:

/var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/logs/access_log (this one is sometime missing)
/var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/logs/error_log
/var/www/vhosts/system/domain.tld/logs/access_log
/var/www/vhosts/system/domain.tld/logs/error_log

it seems that the ones under /var/www/vhosts/system are opened by apache (according to lsof) although I am not 100% sure.

What's the reason for the duplicity?

Why is this not present in all subscriptions?. In particular, subscriptions migrated with PMM from other server don't have the first access_log present.

Where is this configured?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Well, all these logs are hardlinks. Therefore you shouldn't worry about duplicates. Logs from /var/www/vhosts/system/domain.tld/logs/ are written by Apache and logs from /var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/logs/ are left for backward compatibility with old Plesk versions where ftp users can read these logs from their webspaces.

Thanks for the reply IgorG.

Besides backward compatibility I find them handy for our daily inspections from shell. Is it threfore safe if we manually create the hardlinks when they are missing?

Back