• The new Python extension is now available. It allows customers to deploy and manage WSGI-based Python applications on their websites directly from Plesk.
  • Debian 11 has reached its end-of-life (vendor EOL date - August 31, 2026). Plesk Obsidian 18.0.81 is the last release to support it.
    If you are running Plesk Obsidian on Debian 11, we recommend you upgrade those servers to Debian 12 using our dist-upgrade tool.
  • We plan to deprecate and remove the support for XML RPC protocol versions earlier than 1.6.9.1 in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.82. We strongly recommend that you update all existing integrations using earlier versions of the XML RPC protocol to comply with the version 1.6.9.1 specification.

apachectl -k graceful ???

L

linuxxphybrid

Guest
I am currently writing a script to restart Apache2 upon it's hanging/locking up (I know that I need to resolve the problem, but I need the script to mitigate downtime for the time being). I thought about writing the script initially because Apache2 does not go down completely; it seems that Apache2 hangs, but httpd (several) processes keep up and running. I figured that I need to check HTTP, check what Apache2 returns within a reasonable amount of time (10 - 20 seconds?) and if there is no valid return, then restart Apache2. However, I got the following suggestion from a webmaster/programmer/system administrator in some other forum; run apachectl -k graceful every 5 minutes instead of writing the script. I'm not 100% sure if this is what I want to use, and I'd like to ask a couple of questions here.

Q1. Does "apachectl -k graceful" essentially check HTTP? In other words, if Apache2 is in the state that you cannot view any page while you try to access sites hosted using the browser, does "apachectl -k graceful" restart Apache2?

Q1.2. If Apache2 is running without any problem, "apachectl -k graceful" doesn't restart Apache2 unnecessarily, does it?

Q2. How come something like this is not set up by default?
 
Back
Top