• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

attachment limits on email accounts

I

ilustrate

my client is asking why he is unable to attach more that 2.5mb to his email. how do i set attachment limits or raise them on an account? i understand that the default is the email quota based on the size of the hosting but does this apply to attachments on an email?

This is from the QmailRocks site:
Q:
Is there a way in which I can limit the size of messages that my qmail server will accept?
A:
Yes. You can create the file /var/qmail/control/databytes. Within this file you specify the maximum message size, in bytes, that your server will accept. For example, an entry of 10000000 would limit messages to 10MB. Anything over that size will be rejected by the server and the sender should get a bounce message stating that the message is over the allowed message size. The syntax of the file is easy. You simply put in the maximum number and nothing else. So for a limit of 10MB, you would create a file called /var/qmail/control/databytes and on the first line you would enter the number 10000000 and nothing else. Save the file and you're all done. You may want to restart qmail just to be sure it kicks in.

http://www.qmailrocks.org/faq/?category=qmail

By default, this file does not exist and is assumed to be '0' meaning, 'no limit'.

[Edit: Whoops, just re-read your post, I guess this answer does not apply to your account limit settings, sorry. I'll leave it as informational anyways....

ilustrate,

What program is the client using to send out the attachment. I've seen similar problems when clients use a php based webmail client such as horde, in those cases the problem was the max_file_upload size set in the php.ini file. If the client is using a php based email program you may want to check out that variable.

my plesk webmail is currently set to using horde as the email program. is this the problem? i noticed that sometimes the programs seems slow and not quick like other popular web based email programs. i haven't raised the limit yet but was actually in the process of attempting to when i read this reply. what do you recommend?

upload_max_filesize = 209715200 ; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.
max_execution_time = 930 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
memory_limit = 64M
post_max_size = 200M ; Maximum size of POST data that PHP will accept. Too large causes errors
These values are not necessarily optimal for all servers, just an example. Depending on how big of an attachment you wish to allow your users, you may want to play with the exact values of these. Change these values in the file:

/etc/php.ini

Note: these values can also help those having problems with upload scripts and size limitations as well.

the limit is currently set at

2.5mb and my customer mentioned that yahoo is around 10mb. all i wanted to do was keep him satisfied if it wasn't gonna cause trouble. will changes to this file affect everyone?

Changes to the /etc/php.ini are global in nature, so yes will affect everyone.

thanks i got that squared away. i only found the first line in the sample you gave me. do you think that is enough or should i have to add the rest in?

I suppose I would do testing and then add the others if needed (normally what I do)

Back