• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Autoinstaller Error

comicmaus

New Pleskian
Hi,
I have a pre-configured system with Plesk 12.5 on Centos 7 (german version).
Whenever I try to change any components via the autoinstaller at the commandline, I can walk through all steps , but get the same error at the end. No matter if I try to install or uninstall packages or if I do only one thing or multiple tasks at the same time, it always quits with this error. Looks like the error is not related to a special package, it occurs when installing php, qmail or anything elese ...

Maybe anybody had a similar problem can help me solving it?

Installieren: plesk-mail-qc-driver-12.5.30-cos7.build1205160128.15.x86_64 [6/7]
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/qmail.service to /usr/lib/systemd/system/qmail.service.
/var/qmail/bin/sendmail has not been configured as an alternative for mta
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yum/rpmtrans.py", line 464, in callback
self._unInstStop( bytes, total, h )
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yum/rpmtrans.py", line 564, in _unInstStop
self.total_actions)
File "/usr/local/psa/bin/yum_install", line 29, in event
print msg
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf6' in position 1: ordinal not in range(128)
FATAL ERROR: python callback <bound method RPMTransaction.callback of <yum.rpmtrans.RPMTransaction instance at 0x1d94d40>> failed, aborting!

ERROR: Failed to run the Yum utility.
The Yum utility failed to install the required packages.
Attention! Your software might be inoperable.

Can you install something with yum in CLI? For example, do you have any error messages if you try to install mc with

# yum install mc

?

Yes, normal installation or update with yum works correctly.

After three days of searching I probably found the reason:
The \xf6 ASCII code is a german special character (Ö) and it looks like python 2 has some problems with decoding.
If you work with a german OS version the locale settings are usually de_DE.utf8. So can workaround the problem by setting the locale to C for instance.
With this configuration there are no special characters to decode and so there will be no error ;)

In CentOS 7 this can be done by changing the entries in /etc/profile, /etc/sysconfig/i18n or creating an own .i18n file in your home directory.

Back