• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Automatic upgrade vom 18.0.31 to 18.0.32 despite setting that only micro updates shall auto-install

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
Username: Peter Debik

TITLE

Automatic upgrade vom 18.0.31 to 18.0.32 despite setting that only micro updates shall auto-install

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

CentOS 7.9

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

After a week where only the notice that an upgrade from 18.0.31 to 18.0.32 is available was displayed on the home page of the panel, suddenly on two of our machines the panel auto-upgrade upgraded the panel to 18.0.32.

However, the setting is that we do not want version auto-upgrades. Only micro-updates are allowed to run automatically, but no version updates, because after a version update normally some Nginx configurations become inappropriate for our environment and need to be fixed.

Auto-upgrade to a new version should only take place if the configuration is set accordingly.

We have seen the same issue before on a third machine a few weeks ago where an upgrade was suddenly made from Onyx 17.8 with latest MU to Obsidian 18.0.30. On that machine, the configuration also prohibited such updates, only allowed microupdates.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

I don't know, it's just happening automatically.

ACTUAL RESULT

Upgrade for a version performed.

EXPECTED RESULT

Do not upgrade, if the user has configured that he does not want automatic version upgrades.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

However, the setting is that we do not want version auto-upgrades. Only micro-updates are allowed to run automatically, but no version updates
where did you do this setting? I would like to set it that way too, but in the update settings I only see the option that automatic updates are activated or not. And this probably also applies to version upgrades.

You're bringing up an interesting point. I went back into the settings and don't see the checkbox that made the difference between Plesk full version updates and minor updates any more. I assume that now the minor updates are always installed when the checkbox "Automatically install Plesk updates (Recommended)" is unchecked, because below the gray line says "Critical security updates are always installed automatically."

I could swear that there was an extra line before to check the minor updates just as there was a line for the full version upgrades. I was definitely possible to prevent a major update (e.g. from 17.8 to 18.0). Maybe they have changed it because now there won't be changes like from 12.5 to 17.x to 17.5, 17.8 to 18.0 any more.

On the other hand, if that is the case, why did all our other servers that have the same setting, not auto-upgrade from 18.0.31 to 18.0.32 for more than a week while two machines did that upgrade? There gotta be something wrong with these settings, else all machines need to behave the same.

why did all our other servers that have the same setting, not auto-upgrade from 18.0.31 to 18.0.32 for more than a week while two machines did that upgrade?

this can take weeks until the updates are made. this is also completely different for my servers. some after 1-2 weeks some after 3-4 weeks.

What is also added is that the update times day / time are completely ignored. there is sometimes the update from 31 to 32 in the middle of the day although certain days and only nights are defined in the panel.ini.
That made me lately that I had to deactivate the automatic updates on all machines.

i would be very happy if plesk finally gets the problem under control.
if you have a lot of machines then manual updates are time-consuming.
It must be possible to define certain days and times again. In addition, it should be possible to differentiate between micro and version upgrade as before.

It would be a nice Christmas present to see the split major/minor and early/general/late adopter tracks brought back!

The upgrade roulette really adds to the excitement of Plesk but at scale, especially given the randomness of major upgrade execution, it's quite a headache.

Don't fall for the CentOS Stream model madness!

You're bringing up an interesting point. I went back into the settings and don't see the checkbox that made the difference between Plesk full version updates and minor updates any more. I assume that now the minor updates are always installed when the checkbox "Automatically install Plesk updates (Recommended)" is unchecked, because below the gray line says "Critical security updates are always installed automatically."

I could swear that there was an extra line before to check the minor updates just as there was a line for the full version upgrades. I was definitely possible to prevent a major update (e.g. from 17.8 to 18.0). Maybe they have changed it because now there won't be changes like from 12.5 to 17.x to 17.5, 17.8 to 18.0 any more.

On the other hand, if that is the case, why did all our other servers that have the same setting, not auto-upgrade from 18.0.31 to 18.0.32 for more than a week while two machines did that upgrade? There gotta be something wrong with these settings, else all machines need to behave the same.

I agree, there was a feature like that in the past. And yes, I agree even more that such a switch is required - especially given that the first releases often contain minor bugs that only cause extra work and frustration.

To avoid the standard answer: No, this is not a feature request for uservoice, this is an existing feature and nothing that needs to be discussed.

Back