• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

AwStats and Cgi-bin directory: security concerns!

F

Fenice

Hello,

I have Plesk 8.1 running on my server. I have always been ultra careful on my systems, taking a multi-layered security approach to protect my work.

Today, I noticed something disconcerting. When I create a website with no access to cgi-bin directory, a ScriptAlias for the website is automatically set to the system-wide cgi-bin. It wouldn't be a problem if the cgi-bin was empty, but it actually contains the awstats directory with the awstats.pl executable - even though you are not using awstats on any of your websites.

I realized this after a few months, and I now fear some malicious users could have used this hole to attack my server, as awstats has been known for being one of the favorite points of entry to the system for hackers and script kiddies.

I want to know from SwSoft what can this hole cause on our system, and why they setup Plesk 8.1 to leave access to the cgi-bin/awstats directory by default.

awstats is a complete security risk. the fact that swsoft put it in plesk means they care about one thing. themselves. Do not use it and get rid of awstats. every site exploit/hack that has gone on for the last few years have ALL been traced back to awstats.

How do I remove awstats ?

How do I remove awstats ?

rpm -e awstats --nodeps

Best regards
Joao Correia

Back