• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup advice please...disk imaging?

R

rbhaydon

Outside of running PSADUMP every day, can anyone suggest a product that makes a snapshot backup of your system to secondary disk in case of system failure/hack?

I used ot use Acronis, but if failed me big time last week in my time of need. GHOST only works in Windows environment...is there any other way to keep a disk image to get back up to speed quickly in the event of a crash requiring "bare metal" recovery?

Thanks,
Bruce

I use TotalBackup by www.4psa.com. It works great and allows you to backup to a secondary drive, or different machine entirely.

How about this for a far-out idea?

Install *WINDOWS* on your server. Install something like Microsoft VPC on it and create one or more virtual linux machines in it, on which you install Plesk

Then you can Install ghost or whatever you want. use it to backup everything. In case of disaster, you can then restore from a disk image!

The only disadvantage I can see is that things running within the VPC environment will run slower than under a real machine.

I don't prsonally think this option is practical, but I'd love to hear comments from others on this!

Faris.

You probably don't want to run VPC for a production server (not to mention the license agreement probably doesn't allow it). You would either want to run Virtual Server 2003, or VMWare GSX server. I have been testing implementing GSX to consolidate some Plesk servers.

You can run GSX on either Linux or Windows. Windows is easier to manage, but you have the overhead of running Windows Server as well as VMs. Theres no need to Ghost a server if your running VMs, in GSX you can just take snapshots of the VMs themselves and back them up somewhere else.

Back