• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup via FTPS (explicit) fails with Curl error: Login denied

chris_cross

New Pleskian
Dear colleagues,

I experienced an issue using an external backup repository on Plesk 12.0.18 machines using ftps. The ftp server uses ftps (explicit) connections.
Plesk 11.5 works fine (and ordinary ftp client like Filezilla as well), Plesk 12 throws the following error when trying to add the server via the web interface:

Code:
Curl error: Login denied

Unencrypted connections will work. Plesk 11.5 machines (with the same settings) will work.

I've analyzed the problem and got so far:
The backup manager tries to connect using "regular" transfer method + ssl, not ftp-ssl explicit.

Is there a chance to force Plesk using explicit ftpes connections? Or is there another work around?

Some additional infos about the (ftp) server:
The ftp server is running ProFTP 1.3.4d, uses port 2000 for the control port and has a port range (2001 - 2100) for the passive connections.
I tried to add the server using the address field of the gui IP:2000 and checkboxed "passive mode" and "ftps".

Try to use TLSRequired option in proftpd.conf
It is disabled by default:

# grep TLSRequired /etc/proftpd.conf
TLSRequired off

Thank you for the hast reply, IgorG.

Disabling SSL is not an option. The ftp server (it's a FreeBSD machine in a separate datacenter) is accessed via the net and used by more machines. I want to ensure/enforce secure connections on control as well as data port.

I did some experiments with the pleskbackup script on the console and it did the job without any hassle.
So I run:
Code:
./usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup domains-name DOMAIN.COM --verbose --ftp-passive-mode --output-file=ftps://USERNAME:PASSWORD@IP-ADRESS:2000/backup.tar
and upload to the server was done successfully.

So I am wondering what is different/wrong with the web interface. Adding a manual cron is an option for me, but not for most of our less skilled users.
(not to forget the machines that broke after the update from 11.5 to 12 and now write backups to the local repo - that caused a lot of aggressive emails in my mailbox)

Do you have all latest microupdated installed? As far as I remember there were some fixes recently regarding "Curl error: Login denied" error. Also do you have @ symbol in ftp username?

I've noticed that there has been an issue with the user name and special characters. The user name is straight forward such as 'user1234', the password is alpha numeric as well (e.g. 'PaSsWorD1234').
The machines are set to auto update themselves and equipped with the latest microupdates:

System Info:
Code:
12.0.18 Debian 7.0 1200140821.14

Microupdate:
Code:
<product id="plesk" version="12.0.18" installed-at="20140816T214935">
        <patch version="16" timestamp="" installed-at="20140904T065409" />
    </product>

Last edited:
Same problem still not solved.

Curl error: Login denied.

tryied in passive mode, SFTP, FTP, changing user, with root
always same results after updating 12.5

all microupdates are installed

I also get the same error:
Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: Timeout was reached

But I can connect with Filezilla, only Plesk is getting me error.

Back