• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup works only local, no ftp (11.0.9 & 11.5.29)

dischneider.de

New Pleskian
Hi,

my server works fine like expected, but isn't uploaded to ftp.
It was in 11.0.9, same after upgrading to 11.5.29.
The ftp repository in plesk shows a manually done older backup, so ftp connection seems to be ok.
In ftp repository settings I get an error, if I try to safe anything, ftp server, user and password are correct, manual ftp connection is working fine.

The error is:

Code:
Fehler: FTP-Verbindung fehlgeschlagen. Bitte überprüfen Sie Ihre FTP-Einstellungen.
drwx---r-x 2 b088598 cust 4096 Jun 17 06:01 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 b088598 cust 4096 Jun 17 06:01 ..
drwx---r-x 2 b088598 cust 4096 Jun 17 06:01 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 b088598 cust 4096 Jun 17 06:01 ..
Repository error: created file not present in directory listing

Any suggestions welcome.

With best regards

Dirk

In ftp repository settings I get an error
What sort of error do you mean? How it can be reproduced exactly? Do you have any related error messages in backup logs?

The error is listed in original thread ...
There is no other message.
May it be, that plesk is using temp space at a different place than /var or /tmp?
psa is homed in /opt, /opt is at rootfs, rootfs is a small partition, /var is the bigger place because of home of www and mail.
Variables in psa.conf are defined to use

Code:
DUMP_D /var/lib/psa/dumps
DUMP_TMP_D /var/tmp

but backup seems to be filling / to the limit.
Mountpoints are
/ (20G)
/var (900 G)
/boot (1 G)

Thanks for suggestions

Dirk

Edit: There is a message received today while backup, some minutes later I received a "space has been freed up" message ...
Code:
Disk space usage has reached the specified threshold on host domain.tld:
Device name: /dev/md1
Mount point: /
Capacity: 20158268 kilobytes
Used disk space: 15801264 kilobytes
Maximum number of files: 1281120
Current number of files: 162830

Last edited:
Have you the same error if you disable passive FTP mode?

Yes, same here.
Passive mode enabled or not makes no difference.
Remember: the ftp section shows the files at the ftp server, so the connections seems to be ok.

regards

OK, problem is partly solved.

Plesk isn't doing what plesk should do, it's a bug or a design error.

There is something called filesystem hierarchy standard, plesk is ignoring it.
Plesk is using a tmp folder within plesks own structure, in case of my system in /opt/psa/PMM/tmp.
DUMP-tmp variables are available, but settings seems to be ignored or used for something different.
Compressing the backup to a single file to upload it with ftp is running out of space in my system, because /opt with subfolders is part of /.
And the root filesystem isn't big, because of what? It's a static filesystem without any changes in normal operation, it should be readonly normally.
Every variable data has to be in /var and any temporary data in /tmp or /var/tmp.
Accepting the fhs would avoid this problem.

The ftp settings error is untouched by this, momentary there is no need to change the ftp settings because it's just working.
But if I had to change this ... parallels please fix it!

There is still a warning after backup:
Code:
Warnung: Das Backup daily_1306220331.tar wurde mit Warnmeldungen abgeschlossen.
and
Code:
Fehler: Unknown object type
in plesk UI, but the backup log tells me everything is fine?
No WARNING or ERROR in backup.log, but INFO and ended with
Code:
[2013-06-22 05:21:24.536|31625] INFO: Repository '/opt/psa/PMM/tmp/backupvmRPaK/daily_info_1306220331.xml.tar': Initializing...
[2013-06-22 05:21:24.536|31625] INFO: Repository '/opt/psa/PMM/tmp/backupvmRPaK/daily_info_1306220331.xml.tar': Initialized
[2013-06-22 05:21:24.536|31625] INFO: Repository 'ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld': Initializing...
[2013-06-22 05:21:24.538|31625] INFO: Repository 'ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld': Initialized
[2013-06-22 05:21:24.538|31625] INFO: Repository 'ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld': Put file from /opt/psa/PMM/tmp/backupvmRPaK/daily_info_1306220331.xml.tar to daily_1306220331.tar
[2013-06-22 05:21:24.538|31625] INFO: Ftp init url ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld/daily_1306220331.tar
[2013-06-22 05:56:55.617|31625] INFO: pmm-ras finished. Exit code: 0
--- SNIP ---
[2013-06-22 05:56:57.433|32178] INFO: Repository 'ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld': Initializing...
[2013-06-22 05:56:57.436|32178] INFO: Repository 'ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld': Initialized
[2013-06-22 05:56:57.439|32178] INFO: Repository 'ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld': Rotate file backups is started
[2013-06-22 05:56:57.439|32178] INFO: Ftp init url ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld/
[2013-06-22 05:56:57.708|32178] INFO: Repository 'ftp://ftp.backupserver.tld': Rotate file backups is finished
[2013-06-22 05:56:57.709|32178] INFO: pmm-ras finished. Exit code: 0

dischneider

PS: For everyone with the same problem:
I create a dir /var/opt.psa.PMM.tmp and created a symbolic link /opt/psa/PMM/tmp to /var/opt.psa.PMM.tmp
Foldername is only a hint for myself to know, what the folder in /var is for.
So plesk is working logically in /opt/psa/PMM/tmp and physically in /var/opt.psa.PMM.tmp.

Last edited:
Same problem here with Windows Server 2012 after the upgrade to 11.5.29. Passive FTP disabled or not makes no difference.
Plesk-backup.png

Hello! It seems that described issue is really error in PMM. Could you please to specify more clear steps for reproducing? It will help us to fix it as soon as possible.

Could you please to specify more clear steps for reproducing?

Whatever you need to fix it ...
But what kind of informations you will need? I could write novels about the system ... ;)

Attached a view to backup manager, looks like every morning ...

Dirk

backup1.png backup2.png

I mean the way for reproducing original error which was described in first post. As I understood you had not enough disk space in /PMM/tmp folder to place temporary files?

About attachments in last reply: You can investigate reasons of backup's warnings in logs. It placed in /opt/psa/PMM/sessions/<time-stamp>/migration.result and /opt/psa/PMM/sessions/<time-stamp>/psadump.log.

I don't know what to write ...
The error was first time after upgrading to 11.5.29 (from 11.0.9) without other changes.

The originally postet error "no backup to ftp" is partially solved (only with a workaround!), but running.
Like described in an earlier post the warning after backup "Error: Unknown object type" is in every backup task, the logs includes no warnings or error. This I posted too in an earlier post.
I know where logs are hosted but there is nothing helpful to find in.
The error / warning is in my opinion related to the error in ftp Settings "Repository error: created file not present in directory listing".
Settings in ftp repository not changeable, every change (ftp Settings, passive, ftps, Password for backups) causes the error, no matter what to do.
But backup Jobs seem to be working fine!?

Dirk

Hello!
There are two different errors: "Error: Unknown object type" after backup and "Repository error: created file not present in directory listing" in ftp Settings.
For our investigation will be usefull next info:

1. Check your ftp-repository with pmm-ras utility. It shows curl-log with detailed error
Code:
DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=<PASSWORD> /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage ftp://<user>@<host>[:port][path] --debug --verbose
For example
Code:
DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=mypassword /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage [url]ftp://[email protected]/Incoming[/url] --debug --verbose

2. Enable detailed logging in /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini
[log]
filter.priority = 7
show.util_exec = on

And when you will get "Error: Unknown object type" next time, you can find details in /usr/local/psa/admin/logs/panel.log

Last edited:
Hi Margarita,

I am using Windows Server 2012 so I can't use the Linux command line code that you've posted.
I have rewritten it to this code:
Code:
SET DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=mypassword
"%plesk_bin%/pmm-ras.exe" --check-repository --dump-storage ftp://<user>@<host>[:port][path] --debug --verbose

The script succesfully connects to the FTP server and generates a temp file, but then it hangs at "Ftp list dir". The temp file stays empty.

Hello!
There are two different errors: "Error: Unknown object type" after backup and "Repository error: created file not present in directory listing" in ftp Settings.
For our investigation will be usefull next info:

1. Check your ftp-repository with pmm-ras utility. It shows curl-log with detailed error
Code:
DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=<PASSWORD> /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage ftp://<user>@<host>[:port][path] --debug --verbose
For example
Code:
DUMP_STORAGE_PASSWD=mypassword /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage [url]ftp://[email protected]/Incoming[/url] --debug --verbose

2. Enable detailed logging in /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini
[log]
filter.priority = 7
show.util_exec = on

And when you will get "Error: Unknown object type" next time, you can find details in /usr/local/psa/admin/logs/panel.log

Sorry for answering today instead of last days, to busy.

a) I did the pmm-ras, log attached.
Seems to be OK but finishing with an error ...

b) there is no /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini, only /usr/local/psa/admin/conf/panel.ini.sample
Do I need a panel.ini?

Dirk

http://www.dischneider.de/pmm-ras-log.txt

btw: howto upload a text file as attachment??

I don't know if this error happens in updated Systems. I have a fresh install of openSuse 12.3 and Plesk 11.5.30 with update to #2 and get the same error. Just define the credentials of the FTP repository and press OK and you'll see the error and the Repository is not created.

Guys!
Finally we reproduced and fixed this problem. Fix will be available in MU#4. Error occurs when ftp command for listing (-ls) returns "." and ".." in result. As workaround you can try to disable ListOptions "-la" in configuration of your FTP servers.

Last edited:
Back