• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Backups Plesk Onyx 17.8.11

Hi,

quick question:
I want to backup my server (453G total, 266G used, 164G free) to an FTP Space.
The backup fails with the message "Not enough free disk space to backup selected objects. At least 236539.92 MBytes free disk space is required.".
I thought as of Plesk Onyx 17.5 and above the Backup does not store all created archives on the local disk prior uploading them to ftp.

Is there a way to use the PLESK backup feature and let it backup to remote FTP Space without double the amount of space required on local disk?
I am using duplicity right now, which just needs the space of one archive (in my case 100 MB) at a time, then upload it and continues with the next archive...

Is something similar possible with PLESK Onyx? Is it possible with Plesk Obsidian?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks. I already knew this page.
My problem is that i don‘t know what will happen...
I set Plesk to split backup archives to 2048 MB each. Does it create at first ALL chunks and uploads them then to FTP? Then my server will crash as it has not enought space...
OR does it upload the chunks simultaneously and deletes already uploaded chunks asap? This way the space will not be occupied and it does not crash my server due to less free space...

Please clarify how PLESK FTP Backup process is working in depth. I dont want to crash my production server due to „experiments“.

Thank you

It will create the backup files in /var/lib/psa/dumps/ first, and then will create from those an (uncompressed) tar container on the fly while uploading.
You can see them lying around in there when plesk fails to upload the files to ftp, e.g. due to insufficient space on the ftp server. (There is still nothing that would clean those files up automatically.)
Note that plesk calculates the required space without taking compression into account, so if you have e.g. a lot of huge log files (*cough* magento), the backup will really only take up a fraction of that space.

Back