• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Best way to manage multiple Plesk server under same brand

kevinmamaqi

New Pleskian
Hello,

I have multiple VPS with Plesk, mostly to host WP apps. I have this servers on IONOS and so far I'm happy with the features, management and especially the WP Toolkit. I am planning a mass migration from some cpanel servers I got in other vendors and I have a few questions.

1. How can I have my custom DNS for all my servers? - I would like my users to type ns1.mydomain.com, ns2...., ns3..., ns4... See below image and please give a me a clue. Currently I have Server VPS 1 pointing to a DNS, and the domain name is being used as ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain2.com. Buy I would like to have custom branding custom DNS for all my servers and domains.

Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 15.02.15.png

2. What is the best way to manage multiple Plesk Ubuntu servers from a centralized panel.

Neither #1 or #2 are truly supported in Plesk.

They deprecated their multi-server extension in Onyx, and have no alternative.

If you attempt to cluster multiple servers to the same slave DNS servers, you'll have masters overwriting each other's zone.

#2 doesn't exist. You'll need to develop your own solution, or pay a third party for one.

That's not a proper DNS cluster. That's simply a very basic Master-Slave propagation setup.

> If you attempt to cluster multiple servers to the same slave DNS servers, you'll have masters overwriting each other's zone.

That's not a proper DNS cluster. That's simply a very basic Master-Slave propagation setup.

> If you attempt to cluster multiple servers to the same slave DNS servers, you'll have masters overwriting each other's zone.
That is true, for the solution mentioned in the picture you need more dev engineering to achieve it with plesk -)

cheers Michael

Thank you @john0001 and @bernes_stainz

If the multiserver option is deprecated, what would be the best solution in order to host multiple WordPress websites on a scalable manner? - Any experience? I am very happy with plesk overall and the wordpress toolkit, but I have to keep on buying VPS and setup manually many configurations. I would like to do it once and then grow.

Thank you @john0001 and @bernes_stainz

If the multiserver option is deprecated, what would be the best solution in order to host multiple WordPress websites on a scalable manner? - Any experience? I am very happy with plesk overall and the wordpress toolkit, but I have to keep on buying VPS and setup manually many configurations. I would like to do it once and then grow.
How many are we talking about?

It could just be a matter of getting a single, beefier machine.

For Config management, we utilize a bootstrapper that gets called by post-install.php that verifies and setups up all the necessary config files/settings

You could also use something like Ansible for pushing out multi-server actions & bootstrapping.

I know @IgorG previously stated that Plesk does have plans to provide some sort of alternative for multiserver in Obsidian. Curious if he has any updates/ETA?

You could set up a (really) powerful server with Plesk as a your main webserver and setup additional dedicated database servers. Which you then add as remote database server to Plesk. This way you can offload the database processes to another (or multiple) external servers. This is pretty scalable, altough it has it's limits.

Another thing you could consider is to create a snapshot or server image of a server you've already configured/customized and use it for every new server. Limiting the amount of time you have to spend configuring each new server.

^ though I've found PHP tends to be a bigger problem before the DB. No simple way to decouple PHP from the web server, unfortunately.

Snapshot then rehydrate works great, but you'd still need to login to multiple panels/terminals to push updates/modify things.

You could set up a (really) powerful server with Plesk as a your main webserver and setup additional dedicated database servers. Which you then add as remote database server to Plesk. This way you can offload the database processes to another (or multiple) external servers. This is pretty scalable, altough it has it's limits.

Another thing you could consider is to create a snapshot or server image of a server you've already configured/customized and use it for every new server. Limiting the amount of time you have to spend configuring each new server.
Hello Rasp,
I indentify with this suggestion. I am running moodle setup to different groups of learners, in different categories and in different geographical regions.

I only need to update the single moodle code base/upgrade as and when necessary all well as plugins once but have multiple databases for the different scenarios sharing the codebase.

Can I get in touch to explore this a bit further?

Back