• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Best way to upgrade - ideas please :)

ashley

Basic Pleskian
Hi

I have a few servers running RH 7.3 and Plesk 7.1

I am putting all new hardware in to replace the physical servers and will install RHAS on those. In addition, i need to upgrade to Plesk 7.5.3. In addition, there will be misc issues like PHP (currently v 4.1) and MySQL version (currently v3.23) upgrades etc.

So as i see it i have the following options:

1) Get new servers loaded with Plesk 7.5.3 and RHAS. Upgrade existing servers to 7.5.3 and move the data from old servers over to the new servers.

2) Get new servers loaded with Plesk 7.1 and RHAS, move the data from old servers over to the new servers and then upgrade to 7.5.3

What does anyone think is best - any better ways?. I have full access to machines. They are mirrored so i could pull a disk out to keep at least one "good" copy for extra safety.

Im looking for the solution that is safest and has the very least downtime possible.

Also, are there likely to be issues with PHP/MySQL version changes and existing web sites stopping working - any horror stories or gotchas appreciated.

Thanks

Ashley

Either option should work, but I'd say if using 7.1.x make sure it's 7.1.7.

Uh oh - some vital info missing - its actually version 7.01

This is because i keep seeing all these nightmare upgrade posts and ive had a few myself (even when Plesk do it). So being Mr Double-Safety-Pants i keep waiting for a really stable version/upgrade and then b4 you know it, a year or more has whizzed by :)

So Cranky - you would now say upgrade to 7.1.7 first?

Ashley

Hmm ... I'd suggest upgrading to 7.1.7 or 7.1.7 then 7.5.3 probably, then migrating. That's what I'd typically do when performing work like this for clients, it's very rare I would perform a 7.0.x migration then upgrade later as I've had more problems with 7.0.x releases than others.

A colleague used it a lot for CPanel -> Plesk migrations with several bugs. I've not used it properly for older version -> new version migrations but another colleague uses it regularly for 7.5.3 -> 7.5.3 migrations with great success.

To be honest, I'd not use it, but it might just work.

Hmm - migration manager - ive been wondering about that.

Would that do what i need anyone?

Also I have a client with an all-you-can-eat-bandwidth-and-space managed cpanel server in the US who is a bit fed up with downtime and despite his shock at UK bandwidth pricing he may want to migrate. Wondering whether the Cpanel > Plesk migration is as simple as hitting the button?

Also i have recently gone all grown up hosting co and got routers, AS and PI space and want to divorce my previous single upstream as im now multihomed. This means an IP change though which is painful - wondering how best to do that to Plesk boxes. Prolly another post entirely ?? or if i was really brave i guess i could do it all in one big happy go.

Thanks for your posts guys/gals :)

Regards

CPanel -> Plesk works on a clean destination server, but there may be the odd problem so ensure you don't down the old server until your clients check they're ok.

Plesk old version -> Plesk new version should work also, but I haven't used it as I don't trust it enough yet.

The IP stuff should be fine, just get the old server to point the DNS to the new IP's until the nameservers repropogate.

Back