• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question block storage how to manage in plesk

nikketrikke

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Web Admin Se Edition Version 18.0.49 Update #2
hello i attached a block storage to my server as hdd device
connected as internal hard disk
mounted in linux ubuntu at /mnt/blockstorage
i'm able to make plesk backups on it (changing the psa.conf file)
but is it possible to use this storage for example to
store my web account where there is wordpress installation ?
e.g using this storage for example to store a staging site
or to store wordpress backups?
i try to make symbolic link to foder
but give me error
probably due permission ?
root for the storage and user for the wordpress fold installation?
please help thanks

Hi @nikketrikke,

There is a way to change where the virtual hosts is located in Plesk. I've actually done that myself since I wanted to keep the web site (virtual hosts) on a different attached storage where I could easily expand that if needed without having to upgrade the virtual machine. Just need to follow the steps in this article:

Hi @nikketrikke,

There is a way to change where the virtual hosts is located in Plesk. I've actually done that myself since I wanted to keep the web site (virtual hosts) on a different attached storage where I could easily expand that if needed without having to upgrade the virtual machine. Just need to follow the steps in this article:

thanks great... the problem is that probably the storage is slower than ssd on virtual machine due is hdd...
but the main problem is that my hosts vps not backup the storage attached but only the real virtual machine..
so i do backup for the plesk installation automatically from vultr platform and if something goes wrong i cannot restore the backup of the virtual hosts...
basically i need only the staging site and the backup of wordpress to store on block storage and not move all the virtual hosts
but i think not possible this way ???
thanks for help

I've never used SELinux myself, personally. Just found it more of an hassle then it's worth but you should be able to make changes accordingly to the policies I would think. It's not something that plesk supports so your mile may vary.

As for backups, I don't know who you're using for your vps but most places allows the ability to back up attached disks. Also some also has fast IOPS for the attached storage, just depends on who you're using.

Plus there's also the backup you can set up through plesk which will still work even if you changed where the virtual hosts is located.

I've never used SELinux myself, personally. Just found it more of an hassle then it's worth but you should be able to make changes accordingly to the policies I would think. It's not something that plesk supports so your mile may vary.

As for backups, I don't know who you're using for your vps but most places allows the ability to back up attached disks. Also some also has fast IOPS for the attached storage, just depends on who you're using.

Plus there's also the backup you can set up through plesk which will still work even if you changed where the virtual hosts is located.
yes ok... vultr not make automatic backup of block storage...
plesk backup i can do yes...
i think about...
many thanks

Yep, symlinks outside of the subscription are not allowed, for good reasons.
Use mount --bind instead.
hello how can i do? can you give me the code? i need to link directories with subdir and files
is it possible with bind command?
thanks

i tryied with bind command but seems root permission on staging site... there are all the dir and files but the site doesn't work
probably sue the permissions issue !?!

I would recommend using the method I linked earlier as that is the safest and more reliable instead of using symbolic links or bindings. Here's the link again:

Back