• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Broke file permissions and can no longer load webpages on server

Aapklub

New Pleskian
I noticed an unusually large number of SSH attempts on my server so disabled the root login for SSH, created a new Sudo user and confirmed I was able to log in without issues and elevate myself to the sudo user and root.

I've since discovered that Plesk is unable to load the data from the server, the file permissions show as 10000:psaserv and even after updating it to root:psaserv the servers files are still unavaliable. How can I undo this, is there a trick to setting the correct file permissions for Plesk?

I used the Plesk file privelages repair tool but it wanted to change it to alex:psaserv which is the user I created as a sudo user, but it does not make a difference. Please let me know if any logs or command output is needed to help resolve this

Since the issue started I restored the root user and can SSH as root without issue, still the above continues

Enviroment is CentOS7

Plesk is unable to load the data from the server ... the servers files are still unavaliable
Please describe in detail what you mean by "unable to load the data from the server": What data? How do you know, e.g. does this relate to the web browser or do you see an error message? What error message?

Please also describe in details what you mean by "server files are unavailable": What are "server files" for you? And where are you missing them?

@Peter Debik I got my answer hope it will work for others too! so I'm share here...

You say file permissions and you change ownership

If Plesk repair tool didn't work, try setting back the default permissions

# find /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/ -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
# find /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/ -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Obviously, change example.com to correspond your directory

Back