• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Bug? Domain Disk Usage Back Door?

S

Superman859

I don't know if this is a problem with my Plesk, or a bug...

I have several domains set up. I am doing some testing and getting used to Plesk and Unix in general.

I used scp to transfer contents from my old server to the new server (purely a test for the most part, as I am not actually switching yet).

I transferred a couple gb of data. However, when looking at the list of domains for my client account, it shows disk usage for that domain to be at 1.73 mb and traffic at .02 mb/month.

The name servers for the domain were never switched, so it's purely on this server and no way of actually seeing it via the web yet. But the disk usage is still being used, and I'm certain I used some bandwidth transferring all of the content.

So why does it not show it? I know it transferred correctly, because there is a folder sitting in httpdocs that consists of everything that was on the old server for that domain. It's all there.

For the server as a whole, it does show the disk usage properly. However, I don't want domains to be getting around their limits or anything and taking up other space.

Plesk encounters disk space as well as traffic usage once in a day. See your root user crontab if you want to know exact time.

I have this:

# crontab -l|grep statistics
7 4 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics >/dev/null 2>&1

You have two choices. Wait for statistics to run automatically, or start statistics utility from the command line by hand, of course, under root user.

Also note, that you will never see your scp traffic in Plesk statistics, cause Plesk uses web server log files for traffic counting.

I don't even have that task scheduled. All I have is backupmng.

I wonder how this happens - when someone installs Plesk (I've never installed it myself), is it not fairly straight forward and install itself for the most part like most other software? Or is someone supposed to manually setup these crontabs and things of that nature?

It seems like every host I go to, I have an incomplete pre-installed setup that doesn't function properly - even with other control panels.

Either the mail doesn't work, there are missing files, or missed scheduled tasks now.

If the control panel as some settings and then sets most of it up without the user doing each piece manually, then I don't understand how it's always missing stuff.

If the user does need to do everything automatically, I don't understand why they (swsoft) don't configure it to setup most of Plesk setup properly automatically.

I will add the task that you had for yours and see if that fixes it. Right now nothing is happening, because it's been several days and still only shows 1.73 mb.

Hello. I had added that cronjob, but the status still has not changed. The domain still shows 1.73 mb as storage space, even though the cronjob should have run by now.

I have the same results you do:

#crontab -l | grep statistics

7 4 * * * /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics >/dev/null 2>&1

It should have ran. How can I run it manually to make sure that it's working? I'm still new to Unix, so please bear with me.

I tried typing /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics but it just hung up and I had to control+z to get out.

I'm not sure what the /dev/null 2>&1 part of the crontab represents - I just added it exactly as you had yours. I have the folders though I believe. There is a file /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics and also a null file (I assume - although it's a different color in the SSH client - yellow, whereas files are white) in /dev/

I hope that I can get this working properly, but I'm not sure how. It's just not working. It used to work - I know this because a couple domains went up to about 20/30mb after I added a CMS for testing.

Originally posted by Superman859
I don't even have that task scheduled. All I have is backupmng.

I wonder how this happens - when someone installs Plesk (I've never installed it myself), is it not fairly straight forward and install itself for the most part like most other software? Or is someone supposed to manually setup these crontabs and things of that nature?

Of course, Plesk sets up that crontab record automatically during its installation. So if you didn't have this record in your crontab that means somebody removed it.

I will add the task that you had for yours and see if that fixes it. Right now nothing is happening, because it's been several days and still only shows 1.73 mb.

BTW, if Plesk shows 1.73MB this means that statistics was started at least once.

How can I run it manually to make sure that it's working? I'm still new to Unix, so please bear with me.

Just type /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics in a root command line and hit <Enter>.

Statistic counting is a long operation, so you probably have to wait some time. Time depends on a number of domains and quantity of data to process.

I tried typing /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics but it just hung up and I had to control+z to get out.

control+z suspends the process not terminate it. Use control+c to terminate process. Actually, after control+z you may have a suspended statistics process. And it can be problem if statistics use some type of locking to avoid parallel statistics running. I suggest you to find all statistics processes in your system and kill them. Then start statistics manually again and wait a little bit.

To find suspended process you can use

ps ax|grep statistics

command. Find all processes numbers and kill them with this command:

kill -9 <process number>

I tried it but I don't know if I am doing it correctly (still new to unix commands).

After ps ax | grep statistics here is the result:

5350 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep statistics

Furthermore, if I type it again, I get other numbers for that first number. At first I thought that must be the process number, but I don't think it is now. One other reason is because typing something like

kill -9 5350

has the effect -bash:kill (5350) - no such process

So maybe it's not running. I'm not sure.

I opened virtuozzo instead since it's slightly easier than SSH for now, and I scrolled through the system processes and system services. There weren't any files listed that were related to statistics from what I could tell.

----

I don't know who would have removed the crontab. I'm the only person with access and it wasn't me. Unless the host did it when they installed Plesk (why would they?) then it must have disappeared.

And yes, I do know that it used to work. Other domains have some correct values from installing some CMS. But ever since I did scp I haven't noticed any changes - I doubt scp caused it, but that is when I noticed it.

---

EDIT: It finally did something this time! I tried running statistics manually again and it didn't just hang up - it actually did something and outputted info to the terminal.

However, it didn't update the info, as it still reads 1.73 mb.

Back