• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue [BUG] Plesk Password not strong enough?

safemoon

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I am using the Plesk REST API V2 to create accounts, domains, databases etc. but im having issues with the password policy, I also see many other people have the same issues.

I am getting the following error
{ "code": 500, "message": "Your password is not complex enough. According to the server policy, the minimal password strength is Weak (not recommended, such a password could be brute-forced within 5 minutes). Strong passwords must contain at least all of the following: eight characters; one upper- or lowercase character; three numbers and one special character (!, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, ?, _, ~) or one number and two special characters." }

The password im generating is:
10 lowercase/uppercase characters + 3 digits + 2 symbols + 2 uppercase characters

In total the password is 17 characters long.

Can you show me a few legit passwords that pass through the security policy so i can alter my password generation function?

the issue was the symbol "&"
Somehow, no matter how long and how strong the password i generate is if it contains one instance of the symbol "&" it will automatically mark it as "weak"

removing the symbol solved my issue when creating plesk accounts through the API.

However, the error message says that the "&" symbol is included in the allowed list of symbols for the password.
@IgorG kindly let the security team know about this issue, and change the error message as well to avoid confusion.

Back