• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Can I FTP into vhosts directory?

Catia

Basic Pleskian
I've got a virtual server running Ubuntu 16.04 and Plesk Onyx. I'm a Plesk newbie so I'm still trying to figure out the details here. It looks like the only way to create an FTP account is to create it for a specific domain. I've got about 8 domains on the server and I'd like to have one account where I can reach everything. Is it possible to set up a user with access to the vhosts directory and everything below it?

I tried using usermod to change the directory on one of the FTP users... and while this did allow me to FTP into the vhosts directory, I got permission errors when I tried to move to any directory other than the one where I created the user. Any advice?

You cannot create an FTP user inside Plesk who has /var/www/vhosts as her home directory.

Your manual approach outside Plesk is failing, because the directories under /var/www/vhosts are either owned by root or by a specific user account, group psaserv. A possible solution could be to add the FTP user account that you create to the psaserv group (# useradd -G psaserv USERNAME) or to use a root-priviledged user account to login.

Personally I would not dare to do such things. Messing with the psaserv group has the potential to completely block all web server access. Wven when you manage to create that special setup, files that you write to any of the /var/www/vhosts directories will be owned by your special user account. Subscribers will not be able to access these files for modifications/deletion.

Thanks Peter. I guess I'll just have to make it work with separate ftp users for each domain.

But in terms of users and permissions. I used rsync to move over all of the files from my old server, and apparently doing that assigned them all to the root user - which means that I cannot overwrite them from the domain level ftp account. I'm guessing that I need to do a chown on those files in order to be able to manage them through ftp. Is there any way to do that through Plesk? I'd rather not have to try to chown each file individually because there are thousands of them. Any thoughts?

# chown -R
can do recursive chowns on directory structures. Example: To change all users and groups descending vom /var/www/vhosts/MYDOMAIN.TLD/httpdocs use
# chown -R USER:GROUP /var/www/vhosts/MYDOMAIN.TLD/httpdocs/*

Back