• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can I turn PHP safemode off?

C

caponica

Hi,

does anyone know if there is an implication for Plesk 8.3 if I set
safe_mode = Off

in my php.ini file?

I have no intention of using safe mode for any of the domains we run - and all of the domains on the server are in-house so I'm not overly concerned about cross-site scripting.

I know I can go through and change it for all domains, but I'd rather just set it once in php.ini and be done with the @£$% thing - safe mode causes far more problems than it solves for in-house servers!

Thanks in advance!

C

PHP Safe Mode Off

Go into SETUP for the domain and find PHP. SAFE MODE OFF should be right next to it

- Chris

there is not a current global option

Hi,

I know that I can change the setting per domain within Plesk and will look into doing that if there is no other option.

However, my real question is this: If I edit php.ini and set "safe_mode = Off" will it break Plesk?

The reason I ask is that we have a number of things on the server that do NOT use Plesk (batch jobs, etc) and, now that Plesk has (somewhat heavy handedly) said that Safe_mode should default to On we either need to:
a) Turn it back off (in php.ini) if Plesk is ok with that
or
b) go through and edit ALL of our php batch scripts to force safe mode AND set Safe_mode=Off for all of our domains in Plesk.

Hopefully you can see why I am looking to follow route (a) instead of (b)!

C

You can change PHP safe_mode through Plesk, so you wouldn't need to edit any config files by hand.

But yeah, you can set safe_mode to off in php.ini if you really want to. Plesk PHP configurator does turn it on globablly, so you might have to set it to off again if a Plesk update turns it on again.

This is very confusing...

@breun: I thought that Plesk turns Safe_mode ON by default. So everything you said seems backwards to me... and there was me thinking that I understood things. At least a little.

HELP!

SURE you can change it globally from the ini files..
It will not harm plesk - Plesk simply puts its stuff in httpd.include of each host,
if you turn off safe mode.. No harm in turning it off twice :)

-t

Back